Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few threads regarding this mod, but I couldn't find any that reference one particular question:

Will changing out the ECU potentially cause any damage to the car's engine, shorten it's life?

I know ya don't just go throwing NO2 into just any engine unless ya wanna fry the cylinders, I was wondering if yer asking for trouble in any way by doing a Kleemann ECU mod.

I'm considering doing a Kleemann ECU & Headers upgrade... Hoping to go from 360hp to ≈415 hp.

Looks like there are multiple Kleemann header designs from which to choose... suggestions?

Any possible negative repercussions other than more attention from cops and subsequently more tickets?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
I got my Kleemann through my MB dealer in partnership with C2Designs that works with Kleemann.
The ecu is not changed out but reprogrammed. you can research what reprogramming 'changes' in the fuel mixture and governor removal and O2 cel not appearing plus the larger diameter of the headers getting the fumes out faster or our knowledgeable members will jump in .:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I didn't know it was a reprogramming.

I'm pretty sure the mods I listed are exactly what you have, have you experienced anything negative resulting?

Also,

Would you concur with the expected hp increase?

Would you personally suggest one of the header options in particular?

Grazie...

·
94,173 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I read that thread awhile back.
Very cool.

Curious, any particular header selection you'd recommend over the others?
Looks like Kleemann has options.

·
Banned
433 Posts
I'm not sure there are multiple options available for the headers, aside from whether you want a high flow cat or a downpipe in place of the first OEM cat.

Send Cory Umemoto a note at [email protected] ... he's always been helpful and is quite knowledgeable.

I also have the Kleemann headers, downpipe, and ECU upgrade and it provided a much better sound along with a massive increase in responsiveness/driveability. Of course, the extra power is nice too :) I dynoed an extra 35/46 hp/tq to the wheels on a mustang dyno.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure there are multiple options available for the headers, aside from whether you want a high flow cat or a downpipe in place of the first OEM cat.

Send Cory Umemoto a note at [email protected] ... he's always been helpful and is quite knowledgeable.

I also have the Kleemann headers, downpipe, and ECU upgrade and it provided a much better sound along with a massive increase in responsiveness/driveability. Of course, the extra power is nice too :) I dynoed an extra 35/46 hp/tq to the wheels on a mustang dyno.
Right on, thanks for the response.
What are your thoughts regarding any negatives, any chance it would cause more wear/tear on the engine?

I get the increased horsepower, even responsiveness, but why improved drivability?

I'm hoping for more than 35-46 hp... if that's all I'll get I doubt I'll do it.

p.s. I just emailed Memoto, told him you sent me. :smile:

·
94,173 Posts

·
94,173 Posts
Nope. I only read your threads that have pushup videos in em! :D
I just liked the pretty shiny ones!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roger that... so I presume one's pretty much as good as the other.

Thanks man, I'm talking with my mechanic about the install.

p.s. I knocked out the 30 I owed you yesterday at the office.
All paid up... for now...

·
94,173 Posts
Thanks. I updated your account and looking forward to getting u in debt again. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
94,173 Posts

·
94,173 Posts
Hey curious... when you did your ECU, did you send it in, have a mechanic do it or do it yourself?

I'm considering this --> Header Kit W164 (M113) w/dp

But this one is claimed to have a potentially higher HP, without the downpipe which confuses me --> Header Kit 171/203/9/11/19/30-113 ex.dp.

Not sure the best approach for the ECU.
don't confuse:
AMG 55 (M113)(what u have) with AMG 55 Kompressor (M113K)(what u don't have). that is the diff in increased hp

just go to mb and ask them what kleemann dealer they recommend and then go with them. they do all the work. you just pay the $$$$

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
don't confuse:
AMG 55 (M113)(what u have) with AMG 55 Kompressor (M113K)(what u don't have). that is the diff in increased hp

just go to mb and ask them what kleemann dealer they recommend and then go with them. they do all the work. you just pay the $$$$
Aaaah, that's good to know!

Also, (and I'm sure this is in a post somewhere)... what kinda 0-60 decrease will 360 hp to 415 hp produce?

Figuring the 0-60 is 4.2 (seems to be the agreement amongst the masses most "in the know")... are we lookin' at what, 4.0?

·
94,173 Posts
Don't give out info to prospective challengers :D

·
94,173 Posts
did u see my post 14 above :D

·
Banned
433 Posts
Right on, thanks for the response.
What are your thoughts regarding any negatives, any chance it would cause more wear/tear on the engine?

I get the increased horsepower, even responsiveness, but why improved drivability?

I'm hoping for more than 35-46 hp... if that's all I'll get I doubt I'll do it.

p.s. I just emailed Memoto, told him you sent me. :smile:
Some people have gotten a little more, but they may have been making less originally. That is wheel hp, so maybe add 5 or so for bhp. Adding the two above hp pieces together (not always the best thing to do) ends up at 40-50, so what I saw was in that range, but on the lower portion.

The R171 SLK55s all dyno low, for whatever reason, compared to listed bhp and the times that they run. My car stock was the highest I've seen, at 280whp on a Mustang dyno.

The improved drivability is mainly due to the much better responsiveness. I hated the sort of lag that I often had when first trying to accelerate.

Ha, did you say bumpa2 from slkworld sent you? I'm sure he doesn't know my forum name, but that's fine. He seems like a good guy, and is very helpful and knowledgeable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts