Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to start modding my 05 slk55amg... Got the bug after road construction took out my fog lights and the bottom of the front fender. So installed new fogs... and now want to go further.

I have two questions:
I really like the front lip of the kleeman s8. Couldnt seem to find it on the kleeman website. Any ideas? This a pic of it...

Second question: I want to install a new touch screen head unit. The unit I want is a 500$ kenwood... An installer told me it would be 1500$. Because of the HK syatem I would need to put in a new 800$ amp... Anyone change out their Hk command sytem? Any advice?

Thanks, HW

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
That front lip looks great, although I can't help with where to find it.

Although I haven't swapped out my HK head unit, there are others that have. Yes, you'll also need to swap out the audio gateway for another amp, and there are wiring considerations too.
Search will be your friend on this one, as I know there are many threads on the topic. Perhaps some of those that have done the swap already will respond with some advice too... :D

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply... Found a couple other lips online, not the same. As to the headunit amp... maybe an idea of how much power i will need, channels or maybe a recommendation to point me in the right direction, I have researched on the forum already, having a hard time finding a starting point...

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Morning

A 5 channel amp will do, but you could get away with 4 channels if you're not htat bothered about the front centre speaker.

You'll need some form of crossover so you can split the signals to the correct drivers, and there is plenty of room for a replacement amp in the front electronics bay under the passenger footwell (this is where the current audio gateway sits, and where the wiriing is for the speakers, power, CANBUS etc etc)

There's been a few mentions, some fairly recently, about the Chinese S100 / 150 etc headunits having an adapter that hooks into the fibre network and allows the use of your existing kit - not entirely sure if anyone has actually got one or has one working, but it may be worth looking into

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Morning

A 5 channel amp will do, but you could get away with 4 channels if you're not htat bothered about the front centre speaker.

You'll need some form of crossover so you can split the signals to the correct drivers, and there is plenty of room for a replacement amp in the front electronics bay under the passenger footwell (this is where the current audio gateway sits, and where the wiriing is for the speakers, power, CANBUS etc etc)

There's been a few mentions, some fairly recently, about the Chinese S100 / 150 etc headunits having an adapter that hooks into the fibre network and allows the use of your existing kit - not entirely sure if anyone has actually got one or has one working, but it may be worth looking into
Thanks, Still reading up on all the head unit stuff.

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,422 Posts
Thanks, I'm thinking about the maxton front splitter. I will contact them to see if they ship to the US, or have a US distributer.
Double check the quality on Maxton products with Curro 101. If I am not mistaken he ordered side skirts made by them and was very unhappy, ended up not installing them. IMHO, it's better to stay with "Top Rate" aftermarket parts made by famous makers including ///AMG, Kleeman, Piecha, Chrome-tec, Brabus, Renntech, etc......

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Double check the quality on Maxton products with Curro 101. If I am not mistaken he ordered side skirts made by them and was very unhappy, ended up not installing them. IMHO, it's better to stay with "Top Rate" aftermarket parts made by famous makers including ///AMG, Kleeman, Piecha, Chrome-tec, Brabus, Renntech, etc......
will definitely do more research... Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.