Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had the SLK out the other day and managed to scrap the front air dam against a red curb. Must have been freshly painted because the car now looks like it is wearing lipstick. My question is what is the best way to remove the curb paint without damaging the car? Better red paint on a silver car than silver paint on a red curb.

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,785 Posts
That's too bad, I know the feeling. Last week my husband was backing out of the garage and right into my daughter's Crossfire! In addition to the dents there were many scrapes with silver (from my car) and white (from her car) paint on both cars. He used Turtle Wax Polish and Scratch Remover. It took the superficial scrapes right off but the dents are still there:mad::(.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Ouch ! Well at least it didn't break. We lost the entire lower section during our latest mishap. Did get a new bumper and painted the hood in the deal though, so not all bad.

Like MK said there is an entire science around paint removal and polishing. You basically "sand" it off with very fine particles in a very controlled manner. The best tool is a dual action polisher, which will prevent you from damaging the finish, but a rag and some elbow grease will work as well. Just more strenuous.

One good thing to start with would be Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Others may have a better idea. Of course you can always take it to a detail shop and let the professionals take care of it.

Regardless let us know what you did and how it worked out. This happens to us all eventually.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
My wife "kissed a curb" with the front dam to the point the insurance had to pay $3800 to replace and repaint it....
The dam not the curb....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hand polish (soft rag) with 'T Cut' asap. Will take anything off but have to be carefull not to go too far. Wax after to protect.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good News! Bit of mineral spirits, some elbow grease and a 1/2 hour of work and it's good as new. Well almost. Getting a bit scuffed up under the air dam, but you can't see it so all's good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts