Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kickdown hits limiter or something? [Fixed]

I have a 1997 model SLK200 (no kompressor).

The car drive very well, and I love to drive it.

Believe it (or not) there is only one problem that I am concerned about.

If I use the throttle carefully I can get the Engine to go to 6500 before the transmission changes in all gears.

If I push the accelerator to the floor, and force the the transmission to kick back the 3rd gear then the engine will not go past 5000 revs (it feels like it has hit a limiter, surges up then fades back down) and never changes up. If I lift my foot off the accelerator a bit then the engine once again will accelerate up to 6500 again.

Even if I use the transmission in semi-manual mode, that is, place the gear in 3 and accelerate with the throttle flat to the floor then the engine will not go above 5000 revs, if I "finesse" the throttle a bit then all of a sudden it will go all the way to 6500 revs.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Sounds like you're hitting the fuel limiter. Mine has done that when driving in "manual' mode and I'm not quick enough (or not paying attention with all the surge) to bump to the next gear. It will sputter and basically say "HEY PINHEAD!!! SHIFT!!!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SLKWorld rocks

OK,

After reading a LOT of the posts here I finally found the solution to my issue.

I went down to SuperCheap Auto and bought some torx drivers and a can of CRC MAF Cleaner. (in Brisbane, AU that was $15 for the drivers and $24 for the cleaner)

Followed all the instructions that many people have posted here about cleaning the MAF.

And now.

I can push the accelerator to the floor and it goes to redline in all gears (well up th the legal speed limit anyway). :tu:

Thanks to all.

Regards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK,

After reading a LOT of the posts here I finally found the solution to my issue.

I went down to SuperCheap Auto and bought some torx drivers and a can of CRC MAF Cleaner. (in Brisbane, AU that was $15 for the drivers and $24 for the cleaner)

Followed all the instructions that many people have posted here about cleaning the MAF.

And now.

I can push the accelerator to the floor and it goes to redline in all gears (well up th the legal speed limit anyway). :tu:

Thanks to all.

Regards.

I had this same exact issue and I also cleaned the MAF on Friday and the car has never driven as good as it does now. We just purchased this car for my Wife about a month ago, but now the gears shift MUCH smoother and the throttle response is extremely crisp. The power is felt all the way through the rev-range and into the next gears. The car only has 59k miles on it and is a 2000. I am very surprised at the overall change in the car's performance after cleaning the MAF sensor with the cleaner. It is the BEST mod by far...do it if you haven't already. I am blown away by the results.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I was just about to post with a similar issue with my SLK32. Going to check/clean the MAF. I have plenty of power from stops, but when I kick down from 60+, I have rpms, but no power. If I ease into it it takes off like a BOOH, but little under full throttle. Only been driving the car for a week, so little nervous about these issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.