Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fiddling with my CD changer which was being petulant I locked my keys in the ignition. The spare key was in the boot as the car was being packed for a trip. Not sure how it happened. Must have accidentally pressed the lock button before putting the key in the ignition. I turned the ignition on to close the windows then absent mindedly closed the door. There was that ominous sound of the lock pins dropping...

Couldn't get access so had to resort to ingenuity. I'll write what I did as I don't believe it to be a security issue as it won't work if the key is not in the ignition and switched to the first position at least.

I took a very slim, flat plastic curtain rail. I put 2 wedges between the driver's door glass and its rubber seal and using lubricant, slid the rail through the gap. After a few tries and bending the rail in various ways, I pushed down on the passenger side window control on the driver's door and the window came down. I manually opened the door on the passenger side. Absolutely no damage to the seal or glass.

Tip: don't ever put your spare key in the car. Keep it elsewhere off in your pocket if on a trip. :grin:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
When I saw this thread.. well, I had to chuckle.. :laugh:

Then as I read on down I realised just how any of us could end up in this situation... most of us are fiddling with bits and bobs on and inside our cars...

But when I realised how easy it was to get access to the locked car... that brought me up short...:surprise:

So, yet another thing on my check list: have keys in hand before getting out of car.

thanks...0:)0:)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
That was a close call!

You should consider keeping your secondary key somewhere safe like a watch box or a safe... really anywhere you can remember but in the car it is supposed to be a back-up key for! :grin:

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,483 Posts
If one has MBrace then one can unlock the vehicle remotely via Smartphone, presuming you didn't leave it(phone) inside the car.

(Mbrace applies to the North American market, and also requires prescription).

·
Registered looking for SLK
177 Posts
Or Mercedes "me" now available in the UK, model year dependant. Our equivalent of MBrace.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One of the features we really liked about a Ford product we had was the keypad which one could use to unlock the car (not drive it). Going to the beach? Throw the keys and your cell phone into the trunk and lock it. When you get out of the salt water, open the trunk with the keypad and retrieve your electronic key and drive home. Very handy on many occasions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.