Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am reading in the owners manual that the SmartKey should not be near another SmartKey, specifically:

Important notes on the use of KEYLESSGO

• Do not keep the KEYLESS-GO key together with electronic devices,
  • Bear in mind that the engine can be started by any of the vehicle occupants if there is a KEYLESS-GO key in the vehicle.
Any caveats, anyone?

Thank you in advance.

Chris

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
I recently purchased a 172 from the 'Jahreswagen' scheme - basically an ex MB emplyee's car that is put on the second hand car market within a year of registration with full new car warranty. It has pretty well all the options on it except for Keyless-go. Questioning the German dealer on this, he quietly admitted that Keyless-go is not a popular option in Germany due to its sensitivities.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
I absolutely love KEYLESS GO except when the key fob isn't recognized. (There is another post on this topic) It seems the fob battery does not last too long and can cause it to not respond to the car. Overall the KEYLESS GO option is a simple thing, but not having to take out the key to unlock or lock your car or open the trunk is a wonderful thing.

From experience I'd say it does work better when the key fob is not on a key ring with a lot of other keys. As far as being near another device, that hasn't been a situation for me.

For those with kids, the note about anyone being able to start the car is a good safety consideration and not an issue if you keep the key on your person so a child doesn't end up in the car unsupervised with a KEYLESS GO fab. If you leave the fob in the car; the doors will not lock and you'll see a "Don't forget your key" message.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I cant imagine owning a care without keyless go anymore. I have had it in previous cars where the implementation was flawless (Lexus), and sometimes it is annoying to get the "key not recognized" message on my R172, but the convenience of never having to take your keys out of your pocket far outweigh the annoyance of the occasional false alarm.

Both my wife and I have been in the car with our keyless go fobs on our persons, and the car hasn't complained.

I agree that leaving the fob in the car all the time is asking for trouble, because then anyone can start it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2011 Dodge Charger with a keyless system. when I have both fobs in the same pocket, both my c300 and slk had trouble finding the key.

putting one fob in one pocket and the other in the other worked fine for me.

then i noticed after I had to replace the battery in my mb fob, i didn't have this problem anymore. i think the batteries coming out of the factory are mostly discharged. just pop a new one in right off the bat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.