Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me!!! Neither of my key fobs work; changed batteries too many times, lost cash on batteries as a matter of fact. Pulled the PSE out, dry as a bone!!! All locks work if I use the key to unlock doors, interior light comes on when I manually unlock doors. Button inside car works if I want to lock myself in the car with no problem; key fobs will no longer activate the panic alarm nor have the siren gone off anymore. Everything worked fine at one time, both fobs but all of a sudden nothing! There is no light indicating battery strength even with new batteries. My car is a 2000 model with 130K on it; do I simply need new fobs? I have a KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM lying around but I don’t know if I can integrate it into the factory system. Anyone added an aftermarket entry system to the existing system with no issues? Right now all I want is to lock and unlock without inserting the key, I don’t feel I should have to do this on such a notable car. I really like my little machine but this one problem is really becoming annoying. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
If both fobs worked, and then suddenly stopped working, wouldn't that imply that the receiver inside the car is dead?

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Sir, I searched and was successful in reprogramming at one time; and yes Sir, logic would tell me to consider some other element other than the fobs such as the receiver/PSE; and Sir, I was certain the batteries were in correctly. Upon acquiring the car the previous owner told me the batteries needed to be replaced. I purchased new batteries at a local Walgreens and had the fobs working in the parking lot immediately. I’ve had the car since February 2012 till current, been working out the minor bugs and I thought I had this one licked. Fobs worked well and as I said they simply quit! As far as the receiver in the car is questionable now I’m not sure; what I mean is I don’t think I know what or where the receiver is located nor how to determine if it’s the culprit or not. When you say, “receiver” do you mean the PSE in the trunk? If not where is it, how to I check it if it’s possible, and what causes it to stop working if you know? Mind you, all locks in the car work fine, if I lock the trunk with the key all locks will lock, if I unlock trunk or door with key all locks respond and interior light will illuminate. The red light flashes on the dash but only if I press it upon exiting the car for the evening. It may flash at other times but I don’t remember paying attention during the course of a normal day of going and coming. There was a time I had to replace the car’s battery but even then when I installed the new battery the alarm went off but I was able to silence it with the remote. I purchased new batteries at the local AutoZone, replaced them in the store and checked it against their remote checker for signal but no signal was indicated coming from either of my fobs. I will purchase two new sets of batteries, but I’m not going to install them until I receive advice on what I should do or look for regarding the receiver in my car. I use the instructions in my manual to reprogram the remotes and I know that procedure works because it worked upon taking ownership of the car and reanimating the remotes with new batteries! I also ensured I put the batteries in the correct way, I think the manual show the correct direction the batteries should be inserted. I really want to thank you all for your support in this matter, I surely believe it’s something minor that I’m not doing or I just may need new fobs but that would be odd if that’s the case. I’ve had old Chevy’s with keyless entry and those things seemed to always work, even found one at a local junk yard for my past 98 camaro and were able to reprogram it to work with that car. My SLK fobs are in pretty good shape at a glance, I’ve even disassembled them and cleaned them but even then they look really good inside but I know looks can be deceiving as well. In my frustration I’m seriously considering aftermarket but I just don’t know what that would do to the ECU since all components work with each other. I did install an aftermarket radio but even after doing that Fobs worked. Thanks again and I look forward to some possible solutions from those of you who know.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
I would check , and re check the batteries , sometimes we get fixed on a certain idea that we're doing something right even though we're not and it's staring us in the face !
By any chance have you been boot near the aerial amplifier , possibly disconnecting something ??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.