Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after having my SLK for 3 seasons now and finally getting all the little bugs out...the damn ignition key won't turn. At all.

I've read online for a good couple hours now and figured that it must be the tumblers are worn, the only thing that tipped me off this might happen is it was hard turning getting gas a month prior.

Long story short, after getting the car towed home pushed it in the garage it seems the problem is a worn ignition tumbler and since I can't get the key to position 1 (I've tried for 10 minutes jiggling and turning, my wife thought I was having a seizure!) it looks like I need to drill and pull the ignition assembly (good write up here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1434354-how-remove-ignition-if-you-cant-2.html)

BUT before I tackle was wondering if anyone has ANY other ideas what it might be? I charged the battery, the remote batter works, tried the other key, just hoping it might be somthing simple before I dig out the dremel...thanks guys!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, and I wish it was that simple.

but If you can't move the key to the "1" position you have to drill out the antitheft pin to get the ignition lock assembly (ignition lock housing) out of the car. Not that hard as I just did it this afternoon. Since the little pin removed you need a new lock housing and it's not possible to remove the tumbler with the ignition lock cover on it anyway.

Got the parts ordered $160 bucks (not counting the new tumbler, haven't decided if I'm going with a Dealer matched one or a non-matched one cost difference is $40.

I'm a little nervous about replacing it, but we'll see how it goes next weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.