Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local shop is estimating $500-1200 to replace ignition switch, keys, etc. they say the switch must be drilled out since it'll only come out with the key in the 'acc' position.

I trust this shop but wanted to check with you guys for a possibly cheaper solution.

Help please??!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I would spend a little time getting a second opinion. Obviously it won't run, but you can call some other shops that are skilled with Mercedes vehicles. I would consider M-B dealers as well as qualified independents.

Hope it works out for you.

Best Wishes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The key is not stuck in the ignition. It will not turn. Waiting on an estimate from the dealer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same story from the dealer. Tumblers will have to be drilled out. $900. MrG's advice:If your ignition is sticky change the switch out as soon as possible. It goes from a $100 job to a $900 job once it fails. Lesson learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,754 Posts
Silly question , you did try with the spare key and also wiggling the steering wheel whilst trying to turn the key ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yessir. Tried all the keys and wiggled the wheel until I wore a blister on my finger. It's amazing the physical sacrifices you'll make when looking down the barrel of a $900 repair bill.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I had some problems with the cylinder lock couple months ago. I had to leave my wheels centered in order to be able to start the car with just a little jiggling wiggling right and left to get the steering wheel unlocked. I wen to couple local shops and quoted the price. One place which specialized on Mercedes quoted me $700 for parts and labor!
The other one quoted me $250 for the cylinder lock part assembly and $100 to install it if they didn't have to drill it and $300 if they had =) Fortunately, it didn't stuck and they just replaced the whole assembly without any drilling. Got the car in a few hours and now my steering wheel works flawlessly! Unlocks as soon as I put the key. They did a great job for twice less money than fancy shmancy MB workshop!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, but no thanks.lol I'll wrench on almost anything but a dash. I've never been able to get one all back together like new, especially in an older car with brittle plastic. I'm biting the bullet this time and leaving it to a pro.

I know I've already beat the dealer/mechanic out of a couple of grand with top repair, brakes, oil changes, etc that I've done myself. At least I'll have someone besides myself to beat up if it's not right. I'll just chalk this up to 'lesson learned'

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, but no thanks.lol I'll wrench on almost anything but a dash. I've never been able to get one all back together like new, especially in an older car with brittle plastic. I'm biting the bullet this time and leaving it to a pro.

I know I've already beat the dealer/mechanic out of a couple of grand with top repair, brakes, oil changes, etc that I've done myself. At least I'll have someone besides myself to beat up if it's not right. I'll just chalk this up to 'lesson learned'
I'm actually on this forum as a crossfire owner looking for some MB expertise. Maybe I could "pay it forward"!!!!

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/attachments/tsbs-how-articles/21577d1303751567-index-crossfire-problems-repairs-19226d1285817668-sticky-ignition-key-fix-sticky-ignition-key-fix_v2.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.