Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving this morning, 'key not detected' flashed with a beeping sound in red for a few seconds on the speedometer. Why does it do that? The key fob was in the car the whole time or I wouldn't be able to start the car.

Does this mean key fob needs new battery? Very odd :|

·
Super Moderator
10,928 Posts
Message would be "Battery key low replace" or "Low battery key" or "Change Key Battery" or something similar if the battery needed replacement.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It disappeared after a few seconds. I didn't have to press anything. Must be a glitch.

On a different note, I saw an old silver daddy in his silver SL 550 with red interior this morning. The SL looks better in person, what a gorgeous car. It's a shame he had the top up or I would tell him how I feel :wink:

I have had that happen a few times. I push a button on the key fob and it works correctly afterwards.

·
6007.us
2,608 Posts
A few times I have had the keys (2) on the fob get in the rong place and give the "key not detected". Moved the fob and all is good. Suspect change in the same pocket could be an issue.

ps one on my earliest memories is of people with 300SLs driving around with the gullwings up trying to get cool.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
You might like one of these: Autel OBDII OBD2 Code Reader Diaglink (DIY Version of MD802) All Systems/Modules Diagnosti... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0QQZY7/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_dpcACb...

I purchased it for mine, and it lets you really take a good look as to what the car is doing under any given situation. This is the cheapest you can come to a DAS/Star type set up for purposes of analyzing what’s going on. It has a Mercedes-Benz download module which will interpret a lot of the specialty codes. As well as let you see everything the car is doing in real time. It also explains a lot to you with its help capabilities.

You seem like somebody who is truly curious about your vehicle, and this will let you know everything is doing such that a expert online when you have the information will be able to tell you with more specificity what you want to know.

If you were my sugar baby, I would buy one for you. I’m sure one of your toys would be glad to get it for you! LOL

·
Super Moderator
10,928 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, @Mensra I will let the professionals work on my car but I always want to stay informed. I've been fed so many BS by unethical mechanics so being educated helps me avoid them.

You might like one of these: Autel OBDII OBD2 Code Reader Diaglink (DIY Version of MD802) All Systems/Modules Diagnosti... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0QQZY7/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_dpcACb...

I purchased it for mine, and it lets you really take a good look as to what the car is doing under any given situation. This is the cheapest you can come to a DAS/Star type set up for purposes of analyzing what’s going on. It has a Mercedes-Benz download module which will interpret a lot of the specialty codes. As well as let you see everything the car is doing in real time. It also explains a lot to you with its help capabilities.

You seem like somebody who is truly curious about your vehicle, and this will let you know everything is doing such that a expert online when you have the information will be able to tell you with more specificity what you want to know.

If you were my sugar baby, I would buy one for you. I’m sure one of your toys would be glad to get it for you! LOL
LOOL, you're sweet. I love when a man whispers 'I'll buy it for you!'. :wink:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have keyless entry and keyless start by the way. The key fob doesn't need to be inserted to start car.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I have the same thing. And the very purpose of buying the device that scans your computer is to make sure that the men (God am I sexist) who work on your car are kept honest. No insult intended by saying men that work on your car I’m sure there are a lot of women mechanics as well.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You need new key fob batteries. The car pings the key every few seconds on keyless drive cars and if the key does not "reply" that message is displayed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think you will get a low battery message in that case.
I had a Prius Gen3 that had some areas where the fob was not detected...like the backseat. When you have the fob in your purse and you throw the purse in a " black spot" then you will get that message.
Well....that was the case with the Prius....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my key fob in my make up bag in my purse. Maybe my car is trying to tell me I am carrying too much make up, it can't detect key fob. LOOOL.

I think you will get a low battery message in that case.
I had a Prius Gen3 that had some areas where the fob was not detected...like the backseat. When you have the fob in your purse and you throw the purse in a " black spot" then you will get that message.
Well....that was the case with the Prius....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is good to know. I have a new battery somewhere I can change it out. How often should key fob batteries be replaced? I changed mine about 6 months ago.

You need new key fob batteries. The car pings the key every few seconds on keyless drive cars and if the key does not "reply" that message is displayed.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Keyless batteries need more constant replacement but will depend on millage, I would say 30k is about average.
6 months sounds low, check the batteries (use only well regarded brands) expiration date and store the key fob at least 10 feet from the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts