Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, lost my key to my '00 slk a few weeks ago and had to order a new one from my local dealer. $ 148 & tax. Not bad for a MB. Then I was told that they charge $ 50 to program the new fob to the car. Does this have to be done by the dealer or can I do this myself ( with the help of this great forum :hail:)? JohnB

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,413 Posts
That price is a bargain believe it or not!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the responses. The price for the fob and program isn't so bad after all ( my brother told me he paid $300.00 to replace his wife's Toyota 4runner fob).
This forum has been so helpful. The SLK is my first Mercedes and I've learned so much here. By the way, I love my SLK. My only problem is trying to keep the wife out of it :biglaugh:. Thanks again JohnB

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same exact problem I have the Key fob but i need to get it programmed...Cuz I know I have no central locking at all n every time I get down I have to lock the other door manually n then lock the driver's side door from outside...really embarrassing sometimes :p...Moreover my boot is always unlocked so that's there...can anyone shed more light on how to programme it?? Cuz that would be amazing!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
If you have your key, it's highly unlikely that it has become 'un-programed' - it is more likely to be a fault with the PSE pump which actuates the locks in the car via a system of 'vacuum' pipes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: My new key arrived at the dealership and I took the car in to get it programed. Took them only a couple mins. to do. Service manager said that the early SLKs( R170 ) are very easy to do. They didn't even charge me( the dozen donuts I took them might have something to do with that :biglaugh: ).Point is,I think with a little research, one can program the fob himself.
Shout out for James Motor Co. in Lex. Ky. Seems like a great bunch of guys and gals to deal with. JohnB

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
The replacement should match your vehicle but you have to program then to link to each other
I purchased a new one for my worn out original, direct from the MB dealer, and was told how to acheive this myself. it is simple to do!!
Something like: sit in vehicle lock doors with fob place key in ignition turn to on position press lock twice start vehicle wait 20 seconds lock vehicle shut down engine
Key and vehicle programed.
I will look for the paperwork and post the procedure as detailed by MB asap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Please PLease PLEASE!!! Post how to do that in detail...I WANT I NEED! Haha.. :p...it would be amazing thank you if anyone can elaborate!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same problem here in Guam where we no longer have a dealer for MB. I have 2 keys. one that works and another that has a piece of paper that says "Do not use, it screws up the ignition system" don't know what that really means. Maybe there is a way to program both keys. I guess that is the problem with not having a dealer around me to help with things that require their expertise.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I have spent an hour on the phone to the MB service and spare parts departments and they are telling me about programing the key. not what we are talking about.

From the Owners manual for 2000 SLK230 Kommpressor

To Syncronise the Remote Control key
Aim end of the Remote Control key with "Light" at car, Press the lock or unlock button on the Remote Control key twice and within 30 seconds place key in steering lock and turm to position 2.
Vehicle and the Remote Control key should now be Syncronised.

This is what i did when i purchased my new key from MB factory and it is what the spare parts dept told me to do and it worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 99 SLK 230 and also have only one original key. From this discussion am I right to assume that I could purchase a used key fob and sync it to my car using the obove mentioned procedure. I realize I would have to have a new key cut.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A key fob from another car will not work. The original fob has an RFID chip in it, this is for your VIN #. You could get (unlikely but maybe) a key cut to match you car, but it will not start the car. You can only get a fob with the correct RFID chip from M-B Dealer.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
A key fob from another car will not work. The original fob has an RFID chip in it, this is for your VIN #. You could get (unlikely but maybe) a key cut to match you car, but it will not start the car. You can only get a fob with the correct RFID chip from M-B Dealer.
Check this picture:
See this little black thing? That's the transponder that's programmed to your car only! It sends the signal when you you put your key into ignition and try to start your car. There's a magnet receiver on the ignition lock that reads this code and tells car computer: "Ok, that's the owner, go ahead and start the car"! There's noooo way to reprogram it (another key from another car) unless you're a dealer with StarDiag in developer mode!
The above procedure is for the original fob that has been lying without batteries for a while and it's synchronization procedure is forgotten.
What ebay sellers sell is just a plain plastic shell with nothing in it! =)
So, if you lost your key fob then the only place you can get a replcaement is from your local dealer only! ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mercedes dealer just quoted me $250 for a replacement key fob or $47 for just a metal key.

I think I read that someone else got a metal key for $20.

Are there Mercedes dealers who will discount these keys?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.