Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
i have seen some where on the web some info for extending the range of the key fob on the r170
has anyone done this or point me to it as i cannot find it

·
Registered
659 Posts
jam it under your chin, open you mouth slightly.

You laughing yet? We actually did tests on this at my previous company (Chamberlain who makes garage door openers and gate operators) and found it to almost double the transmitting distance.

Still laughing? try it.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
How old are the batteries in the remote key?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have no idea but both keys are as rubbish as each other but i have only had the car for a month so maybe i need new ones
ill try and get some new ones tommorow.
i have the smart top now and its only good for opening the roof when im stood near the car.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,412 Posts
smarttop uses rf and mine works up to 150 feet. something wrong with your antenna

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
jam it under your chin, open you mouth slightly.

You laughing yet? We actually did tests on this at my previous company (Chamberlain who makes garage door openers and gate operators) and found it to almost double the transmitting distance.

Still laughing? try it.
A friend actually told me this years ago and it does work. Instead of jamming it under my chin, I just place it directly under my chin-I don't think I had to open my mouth though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smart top reads the signal that the car receives does it not.
smart top does not read the RF does it???
is there anyway i can improve the r170 reveiver, i see the r171 can have an enhancment to the antenna.

·
98,412 Posts
i don't know the answer other than the car uses ir without smarttop and rf when smarttop used and configured. there is a r170 antenna mod. you might have to search for it or the one sold at the slkstore already has the mod built in.

·
98,412 Posts
r170 antenna mod:

http://www.slkworld.com/store/Antenna-p-1-c-270.html

here is blurb about rf from smarttop:

•Remote roof control: One-Touch operation of roof and windows with the original remote on all models (US and Euro) by tapping the button on the remote 3 times (uses RF, original IR solution, if installed, stays fully operative). No extra remote fob or reprogramming of the key or car is necessary!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
smart top reads the signal that the car receives does it not.
smart top does not read the RF does it???
is there anyway i can improve the r170 reveiver, i see the r171 can have an enhancment to the antenna.
What type of antenna is in the vehicle? 18-inch whip antenna or the 5-inch "shorty"?

·
Registered
659 Posts
A friend actually told me this years ago and it does work. Instead of jamming it under my chin, I just place it directly under my chin-I don't think I had to open my mouth though.
We had much greater distance with it firmly planted into your chin bone and mouth open. Turns out, the hardness of the bones and teeth resonate the frequency, thus making an "antenna projector" out of you.

This is what you get when you have a bunch of engineers with nothing to do. :usa:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
r170 antenna mod:

http://www.slkworld.com/store/Antenna-p-1-c-270.html

here is blurb about rf from smarttop:

•Remote roof control: One-Touch operation of roof and windows with the original remote on all models (US and Euro) by tapping the button on the remote 3 times (uses RF, original IR solution, if installed, stays fully operative). No extra remote fob or reprogramming of the key or car is necessary!
Hi JBanks15 i looked at the Antenna on the SLK stores but my car does not have an antenna thats visable i believe the radio one is in the rear window.
The SLK store says its for the R171???

What type of antenna is in the vehicle? 18-inch whip antenna or the 5-inch "shorty"?
I cannot find any Antenna on my car???

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Your aerial is inside the rear bumper. There is an amplifier in the boot on the LHS behind the trim - a small grey metal box - make sure all the connectors are connected.

·
17,375 Posts
You'll find the range of the remote key (assuming you have fresh batteries in it) is best from behind the car, as the mass of engine and bodywork isn't in the way. If the range really bugs you, then you can mount an external aerial on the nearside rear wing, and route the cable from that to the amplifier. Quite an easy job.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it does bug me quite a bit as i added the smarttop module for the remote operation and when i am in my office i cannot set it to open and i am only 40 feet away.
i cannot tell if my remote is IR or RF it has what looks like an LED under a red part of the remote so i woudl think its IR?

·
17,375 Posts
It is RF - the LED is just to depict the state of the battery. You can prove that to yourself by operating it from inside your pocket.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok excellent news.
so is there a guide on how to install this external ariel and improve my range so to speak.
i would love to do this ASAP.

·
17,375 Posts
Before you do that, the range should be better than 40' I'm sure my range used to be at least 100', but I installed a 'Dick Bypes' roof system which had its own seperate aerial inside the engine bay.

I'd change the batteries on your remote first.

To mount an external aerial, just buy the bits from your local dealer, measure up from another R170 where you need to drill the hole, treat the newly cut bare edges with suitable anti rust ***k, then fit the bits and connect it up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.