Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi looking for some advice, I have a 98 R170 with a 2 button fob I seem to have a drain on the batteries in my fob I only have 1 key and the batteries(both cr2025) only last 3-4 weeks. I have taken to removing them from the key when not in use as a temporary measure and priced a new key at £200 from a dealership. Any advice on a possible solution before I have to bite the bullet....

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
You might try taking the key apart and cleaning everything with electrical contact cleaner and check for sticky pushbuttons. Sounds like one of them may be activating constantly or intermittently. Even Chinese batteries are not that bad.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
You might try taking the key apart and cleaning everything with electrical contact cleaner and check for sticky pushbuttons. Sounds like one of them may be activating constantly or intermittently. Even Chinese batteries are not that bad.
Can you buy batteries that aren't made in China anymore? Even my Energizer ones are made in China !!

Whoops,, hold on a minute. I just looked at some batteries I have here and found that the regular (non-rechargeable) Duracell 9volt and AA cells are made in USA. But then I looked at at my Energizer and Duracell rechargeable AAA's and AA's and they were made in Japan. I guess battery manufacture is a worldwide effort with different countries specializing in different types and sizes.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
I would try another brand battery first. I had 2 packages of no name batteries fail within weeks of purchase and spent a few hours trying to discover. Bought some Panasonic and problem solved.

G.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, though not probably made in the USA anymore, after trying to find that, for me, it is worth the little bit extra to buy the "name brand". ..........God bless.......Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.