Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I shipped my car from CA to HI about 3 wks ago and ever since then my car has trouble starting and the ESP malfunction comes on. When I had diagnostics run, the computer said the steering angle sensor was faulty and that the starter battery was low (9V). The mechanic suggested that I replace both the SAS and the battery. Could replacing the battery alone solve both problems? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
F)

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi Emily,

The 1st thing I would do is charge up the battery. I don't know how long the shipping process took, but the battery could go flat in that time, and if you are just doing a lot of short runs, the battery will never have had a chance to get fully charged.

If this doesn't cure it, then I would change the battery,although, if you are on your original 2005 battery, it could be time for a change anyway.

Problems with the SAS usually show as ESP / Cruise control faults, not CEL. There was a known problem with the length of the wiring to the SAS on early R171s, so it could need replacing also :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!

Thank you Woolly for your suggestion, I'm going to work on the battery first. Being on the island, I'm definitely driving shorter distances, which I'm not complaining about!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
May be worthwhile to invest in a battery trickle charger and maybe do the pre-wiring (DIY section) too.

Reactions: emily35

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your SAS issue comes back you should be able to take it to the dealer and have the issue fixed for free as it is a known issue covered by a TSB. Technical Service Bulletin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!!

Thank you etyu and biker boy for your suggestions and advice! I'm taking my car in on Tues, keeping my fingers crossed! :tu:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.