Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,093 Posts
Z7/6 is a wiring splice for ckt 87

(click pic to enlarge)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Sorry, that was answered up thread by Savcom:

“On the diagram I have one feeds the following via Z7/6:
  • purge control valve, Y58/1
  • charcoal filter cut-off valve Y58/4
  • O2 sensor 1 (Upstream)
  • O2 sensor 2 (Downstream)”
which of these is most likely the culprit?

·
8,093 Posts
It's me that's got it wrong, I shouldn't try doing more than 1 thing at once lol ..........................

I just re looked at my Starfinder Pic, it isn't indicating the ABS at all, if you read the text that is a Wiring Splice for ckt 87, in the thick loom by the ABS Pump ...............

DOH DOH DOH, sorry ....................

Right so lets go back to your list ...................

When you do the first Start do you hear the Can Purge Solenoid click click clicking ? If not then it must only engage on the second start, try unplugging it ....................

Failing that it will be one of the others, try unplugging 'em one at a time until you find the culprit .....................

Doh !! Sorry buddy, I feel like a right twit now, as you were 🤣

I'll go back to my Qashqai HVAC Diagnosis now I've finished the E Class Reverse Camera programming 🤣

Reactions: savcom and M4rCu5

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Checked (by unplugging) the upstream O2 sensor, problem still exists, but I seem to have discovered that the fuse must be blowing when I turn OFF the car, so , of course, cel appears when I restart it.

·
8,093 Posts
I have no idea where the "Charcoal thing" is located, but scrolling backwards and re reading your thread the Y58/4 is located under the Car, nearby the Fuel Pump, Charcoal Canister etc ....

Try both Lambdas, also do not rule out the one you have just changed ..................

Lambda Heater draws a fair bit of current, and as this happens when you second start, perhaps the ECU doesn't switch it on until the second start after a reset ??????????????????????????

Good Luck (y)

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Haven’t checked the aft O2 sensor or charcoal can yet, but stopped and had the codes read at Autozone this morning, if these shed any light:

P1420 air pump switch over valve
P0446 evap emission system vent control circuit
P0443 evap emission system purge control valve circuit
P1525 RH adjustable camshaft timing solenoid
P0805 clutch position sensor circuit
P0806 clutch position sensor circuit range/performance
P0135 O2 heater circuit (bank 1, sensor1)

·
8,093 Posts
I am expecting that that is no use at all, those codes will likely pop every time the Fuse does ;)

Also depends what they used to read it, I've never yet heard of an Autozone that has SDS ;)

·
8,093 Posts
P1420 air pump switch over valve
P0446 evap emission system vent control circuit
P1525 RH adjustable camshaft timing solenoid
P0805 clutch position sensor circuit
P0806 clutch position sensor circuit range/performance
From their list we can discount a couple, but that there Cam Solenoid is a prime candidate, wasn't there a recall relating to those having wiring issue ???????????????

Perhaps someone who knows more about 4 Cylinder Cars than me could chip in here ...................

Otherwise at least eliminate Post Cat Lambda and EVAP Vent Valve like we said yesterday ;)

Also try unplugging Clutch Switch ????????????????

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Did the battery-disconnect-reset, replaced fuse, and discovered that the supercharger bypass valve “butterfly” was not closing and supercharger clutch not engaging when revving engine. Fuse still blows when unplugging bypass valve or supercharger clutch.

nothing makes sense here...

·
8,093 Posts
AFAIK there is only one Clutch Switch, mounted on the Clutch Pedal frame, in the same way a Brake Light Switch is mounted on the Brake Pedal Box.

This sort of fault is exactly why I recommend SDS, with a well versed operator ..............
ALL the others do not go anywhere near in depth enough !!

What happened when you un plugged the Post Cat O2 Sensor, and the EVAP Vent Valve ????????????????????????????????

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Haven’t tried unplugging those yet.

Since the supercharger isn’t activating, in addition to these other problems, maybe the ECU does need to be repaired/replaced...

May have to take it to the dealer and spend more than the car is worth.

·
8,093 Posts
When the ECU detects faults such as those you are getting it shuts down the Supercharger to protect the Engine ..................

Red Herring !!

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Today, took the car to my old Saab mechanic (working on a lot of Mercedes and others since Saab’s are dwindling), Unplugging the downstream O2 sensor and Charcoal canister valve has no effect — fuse still blows, (actually replaced the O2 Sensor since I bought one Hoping that was the problem.) He determined that the fuse is blowing as soon as you start the car, and REALLY blows thoroughly and immediately. Conclusion: short to ground in a wire somewhere or maybe possibly ECU? The “Motor 87 M1/M2 relay”? Where’s that?

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,320 Posts
Motor 87 M1/M2 relay is a relay in the K40 (K40k9 to be exact) It's the one connected to fuse f2 that keeps blowing.

Here's the K40 diagram:

Circuit 87 connectivity is via connector A
The Z7/6 connector is from Connector E, pin 5 and there is an interconnection.

Z7/6 is part of the Circuit 87 loom. The diagram above refers to another diagram around the fuel management of the engine and it does get complicated. Hope this works:

Z7/6 connects power to:
G3/1 - downstream O2 sensor
G3/2 - upstream O2 sensor
Y58/1 - Purge control valve
Y58/4 - Activated charcoal filter shutoff valve
N48 - BAS control module

But that's not all of it. Fuse 2 on the K40 also feeds Z7/5 via relay k9 so we need to look at that circuit too:

Z7/5 connects power to:
Y2/1 - Supercharger magnetic clutch
Y32 - Air pump switchover valve
M16/7 - Recirculated air flap actuator
Y49 - Adjustable camshaft timing solenoid

So tick off what we've already tested/discounted and let's see about the rest of these.

Reactions: Dave2302
61 - 80 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.