Mercedes SLK World banner

321 - 332 of 332 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
67 Posts
Tips for remove and replace. The electronic connectors are easier to remove if you buy a "J" tool from your local electrical supply store. It looks like a small screwdriver with the end bent like a J. After removing ignition key, disconnecting battery and providing enough light to see, pop off the plastic cover (other postings tell how to find it), and insert the J tool so you can pull the connectors directly up. They do not have catches on them, just held in by friction. Then unhook the two spring clips on the end and lift the relay out. Reverse to reinstall. Remember to follow "replace battery" procedures to reprogram. Do not throw the K40 away. One day there may not be a supply, and having a unit that can be rebuilt is helpful... says someone with a 1982 G wagon that is showing its age.
[/QUOTE]

Here is a 30 second video on the J-tool, commercial available, but one could probably make it in 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
8 Posts
Specifically for Bazzle, or anyone that can answer, I've searched but am unclear: if we just replace the old K40 board with a new one, does the new one need to be programmed to the car? Dealership says it "may" need to be programmed. But I trust yall more, so I'm asking yall :) We've found an OEM from autohausaz.com (thank you so much yall for posting them on here!!) so it'll be an MB part, but if it doesn't have to be programmed I'd rather not pay the dealer almost $400 for ~15-20 minutes of work when we can do this ourselves for under $150

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts
Bazzle has not been on since 2016

·
8 Posts
jbanks15
maaanannnnn... hmmmm, ok. Any advise on this question though? We've found an OEM K40 but need to know if we put a new one in does it need to be programmed or is it basically a "plug & play", should it just work?
(by the way, I think i completed all of the updates...? if not just let me know and I can take care of it ASAP! And thank you for your help!)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts
jbanks15
maaanannnnn... hmmmm, ok. Any advise on this question though? We've found an OEM K40 but need to know if we put a new one in does it need to be programmed or is it basically a "plug & play", should it just work?
(by the way, I think i completed all of the updates...? if not just let me know and I can take care of it ASAP! And thank you for your help!)
plug and play
might need solder reflowed on it

remember..any new questions...start a new thread
old threads don't get answered as members long gone in it probably

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
60 Posts
Specifically for Bazzle, or anyone that can answer, I've searched but am unclear: if we just replace the old K40 board with a new one, does the new one need to be programmed to the car? Dealership says it "may" need to be programmed. But I trust yall more, so I'm asking yall :) We've found an OEM from autohausaz.com (thank you so much yall for posting them on here!!) so it'll be an MB part, but if it doesn't have to be programmed I'd rather not pay the dealer almost $400 for ~15-20 minutes of work when we can do this ourselves for under $150
I am the one who posted thread at #319 after I did the replacement.

As the photos show, I installed a new K40 board from Pelican on my 2001 R170. It did not need any programming. Hooked up the battery, turned the key, car started like normal. Runs fine.

Of course, unrelated to the K40, removal of the battery required the left-right-lock-to-lock reset and I have an aftermarket radio (original may require a radio anti-theft reset code), but there was no indication of anything amiss after installing the new K40. It's just five relays with a circuit board that gets old and the soldering cracks. You should be OK buying one from Pelican or probably autohausaz.com (I have not used them) and popping it in yourself. Just be sure to remove the key from the ignition and disconnect the battery before you start playing with anything electronic.

·
8 Posts
I am the one who posted thread at #319 after I did the replacement.

As the photos show, I installed a new K40 board from Pelican on my 2001 R170. It did not need any programming. Hooked up the battery, turned the key, car started like normal. Runs fine.

Of course, unrelated to the K40, removal of the battery required the left-right-lock-to-lock reset and I have an aftermarket radio (original may require a radio anti-theft reset code), but there was no indication of anything amiss after installing the new K40. It's just five relays with a circuit board that gets old and the soldering cracks. You should be OK buying one from Pelican or probably autohausaz.com (I have not used them) and popping it in yourself. Just be sure to remove the key from the ignition and disconnect the battery before you start playing with anything electronic.
Hey Waiheke,
Thank you SO MUCH! I'm about to go pick up my car from the dealership so we can get it to The Hubs' shop and order the part. I did find an OEM K40 from autohausaz.com, which is what The Hubs prefers we purchase, it's supposed to be brand spank'n new, but we'll do a good once over to make sure the solders are in good condition before starting. He's done work on it before (the roof wasnt' working when we bought it so we've been bit by bit working on that, have found TONS of helpful info on this forum for that as well!) and he usually unhooks everything before he starts fooling with electronics. I do have the OEM stereo but we've got the code work for it too. I'll keep everyone updated on how this all goes and thank you for all the help! :)

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
60 Posts
You are welcome.

If it is new, I would be cautious about doing a once over on the solders, however. The symptoms show up on old units, and as with any part, taking it apart runs the risk of disturbing something, for example a screwdriver or small pry bar slipping while removing the plastic cover and damaging the circuit board. R&R is a 2 minute job, so I would just pull the old K40, pop in the new K40 and see if it solves the problem.

·
8 Posts
You are welcome.

If it is new, I would be cautious about doing a once over on the solders, however. The symptoms show up on old units, and as with any part, taking it apart runs the risk of disturbing something, for example a screwdriver or small pry bar slipping while removing the plastic cover and damaging the circuit board. R&R is a 2 minute job, so I would just pull the old K40, pop in the new K40 and see if it solves the problem.
I'm thinking it's just the k40 since the mer dealer said the shop guy popped a new one that was "laying around" in to get the car off the lift and then put our old one back in for me to pick the car up...tells me right there that it's worth not having them do the work...cause he slipped up and said there wasn't any problems with the new one in when they took it off the rack before putting the old one back. Glad we didn't waste the money! The once over: won't touch the solders on the new one, we'll just look it over really good to make sure it doesn't have any scratches or damage done during packing/shipping before we put it in. I'm gonna check Pelican out for a price comparison before purchasing from autohauseaz just to see what we can find. There's some other random parts we're one by one looking for too so it's good to have a secondary source :)

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
60 Posts
'm gonna check Pelican out for a price comparison before purchasing from autohauseaz just to see what we can find. There's some other random parts we're one by one looking for too so it's good to have a secondary source :)
Someone on the forum mentioned this vendor, "get mercedes parts" located at the same address as Mercedes Benz of Annapolis MD Relay - 2001-2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 (170-545-02-05) | Get Mercedes Parts. However, they only ship to USA/Canada, so for international buyers like me, I went with Pelican even though their price was slightly higher. Also, I appreciate that Pelican has the technical articles and forum - See Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 K40 Overload Protection Relay Repair | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article so I feel OK about paying a few extra dollars to keep them in business.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
126 Posts
FYI, Summit racing equipment sells the k40 relay for the SLK and Chrysler Crossfire for about $120, the least expensive I've found and it's a Standard brand.
the SMP-RY-1562 relay is for a 6 cylinder engine, and it's called EM-Computer control relay
The 4 banger relay has a different number.
How do I know... just bought one as a spare to keep in the glove box
As others have said, it's plug and play, can easily be done on the road.

321 - 332 of 332 Posts