Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to attempt my first oil change soon, I've ordered a pump after reading discussions on them elsewhere here...
I've decided on the oil, which people generally seem to go for Mobil One 0/40...
I'm getting a filter wrench...
all I need is the oil filter, but which one?
I've noticed people often recommend K&N, but looking on their site doesn't give me definitive advice on what to get

I *think* I want a K&N HP-7008

But their also seems to be a PS-7008, which is a different colour on the ends

this is for a 1997 SLK R-170 230K

could anyone confirm which one, or indeed any other you can get in the UK?

TIA

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My personal opinion is to stick with OEM filter (not aftermarket). This time I hit 11,000 miles on my Mobil 0-W40 with OEM filter. The oil is the same as at 5,000 miles. Some here did send oil for lab tests at this mileage and they proved that oil good to go another kkkk's miles. FSS for MB says 10-14k miles for oil change. So I stick
To that :)
Anyways, it's up to you but since MB designs filters to run between 10-14k miles why not trust it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,657 Posts

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to be confusing about the 'pump'

yes, after much reading I've decided an extractor pump would mean I'd do the oil change more often, as it appears to be easier and the car is designed for it

and my old bones won't take much more lying on the cold ground undoing sump plugs!

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,051 Posts
Sorry to be confusing about the 'pump'

yes, after much reading I've decided an extractor pump would mean I'd do the oil change more often, as it appears to be easier and the car is designed for it

and my old bones won't take much more lying on the cold ground undoing sump plugs!
Buy a ramp !
Much easier . :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.