Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
Until you get a reply
Please use search :D
I'm at hockey game or I would post it

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,362 Posts
Welcome to the forum I have been using [email protected] Cone Filters for years on different brands of cars some manufacturer claim a up to 7 Hp increase. Well I can not say if that is true or not but on every car I installed them it seemed too me that the car had a better throttle response because of the air flow over the stock filter. Of Course if you like the "Whoooosssh" Sound that improves over the stock air filter too.:grin::grin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading many other posts about aftermarket air filters; K&N, Green. I have decided to steer clear of them. All the talk of problems with potential MAF contamination and debate on their improvement to performance has left me with enough doubt that I'm gonna stay with conventional air filters and change them every 3,000-4,000 miles. I am quickly learning that if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
I have a story for you
Bought my 2009 SLK55
Put greens in em
after a little while, I got a CEL Check engine light
Took into service
Needed a new MAF
Why?
The green filters disintegrated. Fortunately the MAF stopped the pieces from getting into the engine
This was back when they had issues with a bad batch of green filters

·
Registered
846 Posts
Back on topic I have always used K&N with no problems but I don't use oil on them. Some cars have appeared to give better performance using them and some couldn't tell any difference.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
620 Posts
interesting subject as I was thinking of doing this myself...

Do most agree with the if it aint broke dont fix it approach?

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
I read somewhere that you can hear the blow-off valve more clearly with a CAI setup. mainly because you are venting the excess pressure into open air rather than back into the main filter housing.

I believe I also read that in order for the CAI to work at its peak, you need to remove the baffle in the duct just before the air gets to the supercharger. also makes the supercharger a little louder.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
I think there's little doubt that K+N style filters allow substantially more fine particles to pass compared to good quality paper - and that as the 'sticky' oil gets full, like a flypaper, an increasing amount of dust will pass through the intake. Does this matter?
Back in the day when I used to sponsor race bikes, carburettored, with open bellmouths, our mechanic was convinced (and convinced me) that over time, this sandy dust was abrasive enough to erode carburettor slides and jets, and even the bores and valve seats. Didn't matter that much on engines that were routinely run to destruction and rebuilt. Do I want fine sand entering my AMG engine, lovingly nailed together by Dennis Specht and designed to run to fine tolerances for many many years? Not so much...

With paper elements, the more clogged they get, the more dust they trap - not so with oiled filters. So I'm with SEACHAMP; use a recommended paper filter and change them frequently. I've taken filters out of my 55 which appear to be very clean, but once changed, the engine performs noticeably differently - namely more aggressive creep at idle, more responsive to throttle and interestingly, less soot on the rolled edge of the tailpipes, which I clean at every fill-up. As a matter of fact, I use that soot as a major determining factor as to when to swap the filters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any significant improvements after installing? Considering one for my 01 SLK 230.
Thanks
I recently got a 98 slk230 and have been adding mods and tracking performance with a 0-60 app on my phone....

The k&n posted same time as the stock filter.

This would indicate no performance gain and a waste of 50 quid :|

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.