Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
@Dave2302 will no doubt advise.
Crank Sensor is so critical (and many others) I would not fit anything other than MB ............. But I am almost certain you don't need one. SDS would confirm that !

*Registered
1999 SLK200K
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
F
See my post #67 way back earlier this morning Maria. I put up a picture at the same time as the one for the K40. They are about 鈧200 from MB. There are alternatives which may be acceptable. @Dave2302 will no doubt advise.
Finally, I ordered a New genuine K40, and I am waiting for delivery. Iwill inform you further for the outcome. Thank you Mr Rofa!!!

*Administrator (Premium Member)
Is it good this? Is it special for some reason you think? Must I be extra proud for my girl?

Every SLK owner should be proud.
These cars not only make owners smile, but people who see them too.

Enjoy it for being yours. Nothing else matters.

*Registered
1999 SLK200K
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
You have the most powerful of the 2ltr engines, which was only available in Portugal, Italy, Netherlands, Turkey and Greece ...

View attachment 621059
Extra proud thank you for my girl! And very proud and happy that fate lead me to meet this forum by accident, which led me to fix crucial things in my car, and avoid servicemen who do not know a sh...t! And I thank you all!!!

and avoid servicemen who do not know a sh...t! And I thank you all!!!
Some of our most helpful members are also servicemen. It is that extra insight that gets us out of tricky situations.

Like all things in life....some good, some bad.

Some of them are also swearing profusely at a V12 CL again today ARRRRFFSRRRRRRRRRRRFFSRRRRRRRRRRFFSRRRGH !!

Still, Mel and I had a lovely day out yesterday, and Devil CL job is nearing completion now, parts circa 拢1,700.00 and Labour circa 拢2,400.00

*Registered
1999 SLK200K
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Some of our most helpful members are also servicemen. It is that extra insight that gets us out of tricky situations.

Like all things in life....some good, some bad.
Hello again! I finally put the new one. So far no stopping in the middle of the road. But I need to ask something that also happened after I fixed in May the old K40.
This happened after 3 months after I first fixed the old K40, and is still happening despite the genuine service put the brand new K40.
For example, I drive for 30 minutes, or more, then I stop the cart for 30 minutes almost, not long, not more than an hour lets say. Then when I try to ignite the car, it seems that it finds it hard to start. You must keep the key trying for 3, 4 seconds, as if the battery is old.
But I bought a brand new VARTA, last winter, this cannot be. Do you have any ideas why this is happening?
This started to happen after I fixed the old K40, and it does it again, with the new one. And thishappen while the engine is , let s say still hot, after more thatn 30 min of driving, and after I try to start it in a whilew, as I said.
What can be wrong?
Also, what will I do if the car stops again while driving? the genuine serviceman here in Greece, found it unlikely to happen, but what do you say?

I am not one of the experts but I would start by fully charging that battery.
I fully charge brand new batteries before fitting as they often are not fully charged when sold.

Second, we need to look at why your battery looks to be struggling.
Several options.

The cells are dead, or dying (sulphating).
The alternator is not being efficient in recharging the battery.

My favourite, most journeys are short and not long enough to put the charge used to start the car back into the battery.
With winter being here, we use heated seats, headlights, car heating, windscreen wipers etc much more and they all use power. It can take 10 to 20 miles to return this charge to the battery.
Use the roof and this eats power, especially if the engine is not running.

I suspect that this is not K40 related. Perhaps worthy of a new thread.

Agree with the above plus ..................

Also could be bad Main Cable between Battery and Starter Motor, (don't forget earth Strap between Engine / Trans assy and Chassis) IIRC R170's is on the Transmission), or even a lazy Starter Motor.

Hot Engine, or freezing extremely Cold, requires one helluva lot of Cranking Amps ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5 and Avel Du
81 - 96 of 96 Posts