Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
OK Maria, that is very helpful. I've read through the whole thread again and it does sound as if it is probably the K40 because a) Mercedes in Athens seem to think it is. But dealers can and do get things wrong. :eek: b) Someone has tried to fix it and it worked OK for a while. Correct??
However could you clarify one point first. When you say the engine stops, does it stop while the car is moving or just when you bring the car to a halt, say at a set of traffic lights? And when you say it won't start for some time, what happens when you turn the key? Does the engine turn over or is there just silence for example?
I'll get back to you later today with part numbers and suppliers.

PS. Any strange lights on the panel?
.. Look, when he fixed it in May, the car went good, nothing like before. It worked fine for alllll these months.
Before the fix, the car stopeed at least 2 times a day, and I had to wait weven an hour until it started again.
When I had the K40 fixed that day on May, the problem immediately stopped, until now that it happened again the last days.
What could it be. It apparently seems to fail again, as everyone hereis telling me.
Only in July it stopped one time. Now...the last days, I went many miles, so it did it 2 times, one small with low speed, and one when I drove wioth 80 miles. And when I started the engine, after it stopped, it wound not start, not after 1 minute, then in the engine, the car id dead, it wont start. Then after a while it starts as nothing happened.
All these things, are characteristics of the K40, arent they?
Also, when I go somewhere, sometimes it soppes in the middle of the road, the lights in the front desk, go on, all of them, and the engine stooes.
And when it s hot,I mean when I drive sometime, I mean, and the I park...if I try to start the car after 30 minutes, the car won t start. I need to leave it more.
That is what it did, before I fixed the K40, very very often. After I fixed it, it did not do it, again for all these months, till yesterday, when it did it 2 times.
How can it be another problem, when after I fixed it, all these problems, stopped for many months, and now they are starting to get back?
I fthere was another problem, the can would not have been ok, all thesemonths. I just think that this is starting to fail again. What do you think from everything I told you?
thank you

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
For Maria's information, the question of the Camshaft Position Sensor or CPS (Nockenwellesensor in German) was raised earlier in the thread which was partly why I asked the question I did. However I would have thought the main MB dealer in Athens might have thought about that possibility. But who knows since they thought the car had a K47:rolleyes:
What is K 47?

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
OK here we go
First the K40 and then the CPS.
I am certainly no expert in this but it seems from what I have read that the K40 and the CPS can give rise to the same or very similar issues with engine stopping and not starting and the two can be confused. I'm inclined to believe its the K40 for reasons already given but if Maria has more information maybe that will identify more closely.

So to suppliers. These days I use Spare parts wholesale and retail trade - Fixparts-online.com. They are based in Latvia, shipping costs are reasonable and delivery times generally depend on Mercedes since they don't hold stock of everything.
The other company I have used is MERCEDES Original Ersatzteile Shop mit Teilenummer und -katalog. Delivery is sometimes quicker. Delivery costs tend to be higher and the website is maybe not as easy to use.

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,888 Posts
.. Look, when he fixed it in May, the car went good, nothing like before. It worked fine for alllll these months.
Before the fix, the car stopeed at least 2 times a day, and I had to wait weven an hour until it started again.
When I had the K40 fixed that day on May, the problem immediately stopped, until now that it happened again the last days.
What could it be. It apparently seems to fail again, as everyone hereis telling me.
Only in July it stopped one time. Now...the last days, I went many miles, so it did it 2 times, one small with low speed, and one when I drove wioth 80 miles. And when I started the engine, after it stopped, it wound not start, not after 1 minute, then in the engine, the car id dead, it wont start. Then after a while it starts as nothing happened.
All these things, are characteristics of the K40, arent they?
Also, when I go somewhere, sometimes it soppes in the middle of the road, the lights in the front desk, go on, all of them, and the engine stooes.
And when it s hot,I mean when I drive sometime, I mean, and the I park...if I try to start the car after 30 minutes, the car won t start. I need to leave it more.
That is what it did, before I fixed the K40, very very often. After I fixed it, it did not do it, again for all these months, till yesterday, when it did it 2 times.
How can it be another problem, when after I fixed it, all these problems, stopped for many months, and now they are starting to get back?
I fthere was another problem, the can would not have been ok, all thesemonths. I just think that this is starting to fail again. What do you think from everything I told you?
thank you
What the guys are saying is that fixing the K40 is usually a temporary fix at best, as it seems that you are now finding out

Just call MB and ask for a price for a new K40, how hard can it possibly be? 🤷‍♂️

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
For Maria's information, the question of the Camshaft Position Sensor or CPS (Nockenwellesensor in German) was raised earlier in the thread which was partly why I asked the question I did. However I would have thought the main MB dealer in Athens might have thought about that possibility. But who knows since they thought the car had a K47:rolleyes:
Would nt the authentic dealer find that the CPS had also a problem? He did not diagnosed this. He said only the K40 needed replacement.

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
What is K 47?
It is what you said in your very first message Maria - what Mercedes told you - and it doesn't exist.
And yes from what you say it is most probably the K40 that needs replacing but we can only advise what we think. Guarantees only come from reliable workshops I'm afraid.

"Would nt the authentic dealer find that the CPS had also a problem? He did not diagnosed this. He said only the K40 needed replacement." Yes I agree.

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320
2,478 Posts
The dealer told you that you needed a new K47. It sounds like he made a slight error with the reference. Your first post was querying this and it has grown into a diagnosis thread. If you are still unsure about what the dealer said (K47 v K40) call and ask him to confirm/clarify.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,033 Posts
When it stopees like this, all the ineer lights are on, lighting, but only the fan can be heard, the car id dead, it wont start. Then after a while it starts.
I agree with you, that is definitely K40 bad ;)

There is nothing designated on R170 as K47, Dealership made a typo or couldn't read his Technicians writing, simple as that.

I am a workshop owner, and whilst I would like to be there to do a 5 minute test on the car I will 99.9% Guarantee that this is K40 bad ................

Crank Sensor, or Cam Sensor would not cause Cooling fan to run together with non start ;)

• Love
Reactions: Rofa and M4rCu5

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Ok, t
OK here we go
First the K40 and then the CPS.
I am certainly no expert in this but it seems from what I have read that the K40 and the CPS can give rise to the same or very similar issues with engine stopping and not starting and the two can be confused. I'm inclined to believe its the K40 for reasons already given but if Maria has more information maybe that will identify more closely.

So to suppliers. These days I use Spare parts wholesale and retail trade - Fixparts-online.com. They are based in Latvia, shipping costs are reasonable and delivery times generally depend on Mercedes since they don't hold stock of everything.
The other company I have used is MERCEDES Original Ersatzteile Shop mit Teilenummer und -katalog. Delivery is sometimes quicker. Delivery costs tend to be higher and the website is maybe not as easy to use.
Ok, thank you for all these information.
Let me tell you.
Before May, and for one year more or less, the car did these.
When I drovewith a speed of 80 miles let s say, or less, the car suddenly stopped, I mean the engine stopped, the inner lights of the dashboard went on, and I had to go immediately on the right side of the road, to avoid being hit by another car.
Then, sometimes, equally, it did this when I had a minimum speed of 5 km, in the trafic light, or stopped in traffic lights.
Sometimes it also did this.
And before I fixed it, EVERYTIME, after I drove for lets say 30 minutes and then I parked, when I tried to start the car after an one, the car would not start, not only afetr many times of trying, and sometimes I had to wait until an hour to start the engine again.
As I said after I fixed it on May, all these problems VANISHED, expept one time that it did it in low speed, itstopped, in July, and two times this week.
This is the story.
thank you for your great help.

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
So they you go Maria. Order a K40 as Dave says. Or you could ask him to come over to Athens. I'm guessing the weather in Scotland is getting a bit wintery and I'm sure some sunshine would cheer him up

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I agree with you, that is definitely K40 bad ;)

There is nothing designated on R170 as K47, Dealership made a typo or couldn't read his Technicians writing, simple as that.

I am a workshop owner, and whilst I would like to be there to do a 5 minute test on the car I will 99.9% Guarantee that this is K40 bad ................

Crank Sensor, or Cam Sensor would not cause Cooling fan to run together with non start ;)
Thank you, you re a saviour.
But what is the CPS, and how much does it cost? Maybe now I can change this also, to be sure. Is it expensive?

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
See my post #67 way back earlier this morning Maria. I put up a picture at the same time as the one for the K40. They are about €200 from MB. There are alternatives which may be acceptable. @Dave2302 will no doubt advise.

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
So they you go Maria. Order a K40 as Dave says. Or you could ask him to come over to Athens. I'm guessing the weather in Scotland is getting a bit wintery and I'm sure some sunshine would cheer him up
Ha ha! Difinately you are all welcome in Athens! It is sunshine here still!

61 - 80 of 96 Posts