Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,888 Posts
Looks like A2105400072. A genuine MB one is about €203 plus shipping from my usual suppliers.
It is and it'll possibly be NLA. i.e. listed in EPC as being "replaced by, replaced by .." which is why I asked Maria to ask for her data card in post#39 🤷‍♂️

If you're lucky enough to find one it will possibly be in the back of a warehouse somewhere listed as "Brand New, Old Stock"

Just like the contents of this box tbf :p
Output device Font Office equipment Packaging and labeling Gadget

Now what I did find out when I acquired that box is that the owner bought the brand new old stock A2105400072 because he was told that it is an exact match for the A1705450205 that was on his Post-FL 2k4/230. AFAIK he's still running around with it without any problems (y)

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,033 Posts
This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a case in point ;)

It is and it'll possibly be NLA. i.e. listed in EPC as being "replaced by, replaced by .." which is why I asked Maria to ask for her data card in post#39 🤷‍♂️
Thank You @M4rCu5 (y)

I was going to post exactly this yesterday, but tbh I am up to my ear 'oles, had one of the worst drives ever to and fro Inverness due to idiots called Tourists and sadly I didn't have an MB here (Mel was out with the W212), and the part I was collecting wouldn't fit in the V8 SLK, so I had to take D15KOE (who has no A/C) but he did very well overtaking at least 100 different 20mph camper vans and others ...................
Nearly 5 hours to do 120 mile round trip which would normally take 2 and a bit hours including fuel stop and parts collection :mad:

I can't be bothered to keep repeating info which is all here on SLK World if the membership will but listen to requests from members who are trying to help them and use the Search function ;)

I often read "Oh. but I thought" ......................

Well folks therein lies the problem, don't think, search if not sure, or just take the good advice that is given by long term members ;)

"Grumpy Gramps" Over & Out :p

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
43,452 Posts

Thank You @M4rCu5 (y)

I was going to post exactly this yesterday, but tbh I am up to my ear 'oles, had one of the worst drives ever to and fro Inverness due to idiots called Tourists and sadly I didn't have an MB here (Mel was out with the W212), and the part I was collecting wouldn't fit in the V8 SLK, so I had to take D15KOE (who has no A/C) but he did very well overtaking at least 100 different 20mph camper vans and others ...................
Nearly 5 hours to do 120 mile round trip which would normally take 2 and a bit hours including fuel stop and parts collection :mad:

I can't be bothered to keep repeating info which is all here on SLK World if the membership will but listen to requests from members who are trying to help them and use the Search function ;)

I often read "Oh. but I thought" ......................

Well folks therein lies the problem, don't think, search if not sure, or just take the good advice that is given by long term members ;)

"Grumpy Gramps" Over & Out :p
And read links that are given, not just the first post of a thread.

NOt aimed at OP, but goes with the quote.

·
9,033 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: M4rCu5 and Avel Du

·
9,033 Posts
:ROFLMAO: ........................

And ....................

To less experienced Members trying to offer and help ..................

Thank you for your input it is appreciated but ...............

Please, before jumping in, read the whole thread first to avoid meaningless advice on something that may have been ruled out 6 posts ago or woteva ;)

• Haha
Reactions: M4rCu5 and Avel Du

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,888 Posts

Thank You @M4rCu5 (y)
You're welcome 🙃
I think you said elsewhere that there are two types of K40, one for the L4 and one for the V6 ;)
Seems correct (y)
My guys usage of the early A210 xx xx instead of the later xx xx 02 05 confirms backwards compatibility at least ..

·
9,033 Posts
I think you said elsewhere that there are two types of K40, one for the L4 and one for the V6 ;)
Seems correct (y)
I may have looked at it before, slept since then ;)

I'm not actually certain right now, as Pre Facelift and Facelifts were L4 and V6's were only Facelift so could be either / or but as I'm just having a break from grovelling about on gravel under a Sprinter, (hell I'm getting too old for all this old pony & trap), I don't have time to grab a few VIN's and look 'em up, but if anyone is really that curious as to whether it is a V6 Vs L4 thing or a PFL Vs FL thing feel free to go delve with some VIN's :D

• Love
Reactions: Avel Du and M4rCu5

·
9,033 Posts
/\ /\ /\

Doh !! ........... Yeah, more likely V6 / L4 as L4 doesn't have SAI Pump it has a Diverter Flap IIRC ????????????????????????????????

Reactions: Avel Du and M4rCu5

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hello, I am so confused with all you said right above. I do not understand what you re saying. I will stick to what you said about buying a now one, old stock, of the same Nr. I will add me to the List above, and then I will search to buy a new one. Thank you very much for everything guys!

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,888 Posts
Hello, I am so confused with all you said right above. I do not understand what you re saying. I will stick to what you said about buying a now one, old stock, of the same Nr. I will add me to the List above, and then I will search to buy a new one. Thank you very much for everything guys!
What we are saying is that that particular part no. may well have been superseded by a later part no. In fact I'm 99% sure that it has but to verify that we need your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). Easiest place to find that is underneath the windscreen.

Thus:
Automotive parking light Window Automotive lighting Grille Hood

Go find yours, make a note of it or photograph it and come back here (y)

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Looks like A2105400072. A genuine MB one is about €203 plus shipping from my usual suppliers.
Resoldering sometimes works for a (short) period of time but then fails again. Been said many times here: buy a new replacement from MB. Good for another 20 years (y)
Hello again. I am sorry, where is this DATA you said I can put my quote for a brand new K40 to find the best price please? To search for a dealer to find the genuine in the best price?

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
Hi Maria,
To identify the correct part number, we need your VIN number or in German FIN number. It will be somewhere on the car itself but will also be on the paperwork you have for registering the car with the Greek Tax/Police/or maybe also insurance. This number is unique to your car and will be similar to this, which is my car's number WDB1704471F033993.
As we have already said the part number is also printed on the case of the K40. I guessed at the number but it does need checking (A2105400072) and if I am right, my usual two suppliers price is presently about €210, not much change from before. I can let you have their details if you wish. Both supply genuine Mercedes parts and not copies. Let us know how we can help you further.

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi Maria,
To identify the correct part number, we need your VIN number or in German FIN number. It will be somewhere on the car itself but will also be on the paperwork you have for registering the car with the Greek Tax/Police/or maybe also insurance. This number is unique to your car and will be similar to this, which is my car's number WDB1704471F033993.
As we have already said the part number is also printed on the case of the K40. I guessed at the number but it does need checking (A2105400072) and if I am right, my usual two suppliers price is presently about €210, not much change from before. I can let you have their details if you wish. Both supply genuine Mercedes parts and not copies. Let us know how we can help you further.
You are very kind and good thank you.
This is the Nr VIN: WDB 170445 1F116255.
I think yes the Nr in the case is this, I put the pics also.
Ok, could I maybe find a somehow cheaper in another dealer, are there options, maybe we can find a genuine cheaper or not? Just asking.
And what is the Link? Can I buy directly? how can I buy?
Thank you!

As I said I fixed it - supposedly in a serviceman - 6 months ago , but now it started stopping again, the last month. I suppose nothing better can be done. And the serviceman was rather rude, and told me that there must be another problem, not this, thound the Mercedes Benz here in Athens, diagnosed this as the problem with the qualified diagnostics. He refused to accept that he cannot do the job correctly, he said he does not know and does not care about what the authentic Mercedes Benz service does here, and he said so many other irrelevant stuff that there might be the problem, which is not truth of course, because I got the paper of the Diagnostics from the authentic Mercedw Benz service. I paid him 80 euro to supposedly fix it, but now it does it more and more each day.
I think the only way is to buy a new one. I do ot think it is a good idea to search for another serviceman
Do you think this will solve the problem if I buy this new one?

Thank you very much!!!

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
OK Maria, that is very helpful. I've read through the whole thread again and it does sound as if it is probably the K40 because a) Mercedes in Athens seem to think it is. But dealers can and do get things wrong. :eek: b) Someone has tried to fix it and it worked OK for a while. Correct??
However could you clarify one point first. When you say the engine stops, does it stop while the car is moving or just when you bring the car to a halt, say at a set of traffic lights? And when you say it won't start for some time, what happens when you turn the key? Does the engine turn over or is there just silence for example?
I'll get back to you later today with part numbers and suppliers.

PS. Any strange lights on the panel?

·
9,033 Posts
I have fixed K40's in the past, then, weeks to a few months down the line they go bad again.

Many others have found that fixing them was only successful for a short while.
A few owners have got lucky and they are still OK.

Your Mechanics attitude stinks, but to be fair, if he was a good pro, he would know not to have attempted to fix it in the first place, he now doesn't want the grief of attempting to rectify it again FOC.

The answer to the long term fix is, as already discussed, to replace it with a brand new and genuine MB unit............
Providing of course that it is the K40 causing your issue this time, which I strongly suspect it is ;)

HTH (y)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
For Maria's information, the question of the Camshaft Position Sensor or CPS (Nockenwellesensor in German) was raised earlier in the thread which was partly why I asked the question I did. However I would have thought the main MB dealer in Athens might have thought about that possibility. But who knows since they thought the car had a K47:rolleyes:

·
*Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I have fixed K40's in the past, then, weeks to a few months down the line they go bad again.

Many others have found that fixing them was only successful for a short while.
A few owners have got lucky and they are still OK.

Your Mechanics attitude stinks, but to be fair, if he was a good pro, he would know not to have attempted to fix it in the first place, he now doesn't want the grief of attempting to rectify it again FOC.

The answer to the long term fix is, as already discussed, to replace it with a brand new and genuine MB unit............
Providing of course that it is the K40 causing your issue this time, which I strongly suspect it is ;)

HTH (y)
Yes, I am possitive it is. The most AUTHENTIC dealer in Greece, there is no other, Ismailos, fount that thw K40 is defective and needs cange. If he is wrong, the one who is qualified from the same MERCEDES BENZ, then we must go to the factory to Germany to fix the car.
I cannot accept one nobody fixman with a small neighboor shop, to say, that the main Dealer in Greece is wrong, and that he does not care about what thw qualified dealer diagnosed. Yes I am so pissed off with myself that I did go to this fixman. He told me to go again, and he will probable ask for money again. It is out of the question this.. Look, when he fixed it in May, the car went good, nothing like before. It worked fine for alllll these months. Only in July it stopped one time. Now...the last days, I went many miles, so it did it 2 times, one small with low speede, and one when I drove wioth 80 miles. And when I started the engine, after it stopped, it wound not start, not after 1 minute, then it started. When it stopees like this, all the ineer lights are on, lighting, but only the fan can be heard, the car id dead, it wont start. Then after a while it starts.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts