Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

· *Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I thought she wanted to know where K40 was located, hence Starfinder suggestion.
I specified Box next to Battery to avoid left and right confusion ;)

The mechanic guy obviously meant K40, but got it wrong, yes the Hex Binary was in jest, it is "currently relevant for me" humour that I thought those who know what I'm doing atm would appreciate, (hacking a VGS 2 so a 7G Tronic Transmission will work properly in my V8 R170) ;)

Without proper diagnosis it would be a best / cheapish guess to chuck a Crank Position Sensor on it first, but you know me, I don't do parts darts (too often) ;)

HTH ;)
In the MERCEDES service they wrote K47 relay needed to change. But the were wrong. There is no K47 as it seems. That is why I asked for your help. To tell me if there is K47. Nevertheless, it seems finally that they meant K40, but strange they wrote K47, there can t be suck mistakes in MERCEDES service. Now I fixed the multirelay, and there are no problems for 3 days now. Hope this is the case, and I finally found it. I will let you know if anything else occurs. Thank you!

· *Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That was my thinking @Rofa Cheap to sort, but we do know K40 failure is common.
And as said, needs to be a proper K40, not cheap internet copy as they can fail faster than oem, or not even work from day one.

K40 location, from the link I posted in number 3 (I love that link!)
View attachment 611995

One thing to bear in mind when looking at diagrams is there being right handed and left handed versions of the car. I 'think' this is for US/EU left version, but if it looks different, look on opposite side of the car.
yes the service man took it off (i saw it) very easy to find and replace it or fix it, after you easily take it off. Thank you.

· *Administrator (Premium Member)
44,646 Posts
I have looked at all the answers and it seems they helped a lot, thank you very much! There is no need to be aggressive.
No aggression in that post. As multiple suggestions had been made it simply made sense to wait for your feedback (which may have revealed further information that could make the suggestions that followed such a reply more accurate).

We do get folk posting problems, getting many responses, but never returning to confirm the outcome.

Good to see replacing the K40 has resolved your issue and thank you for letting us know.

I will mark thread 'resolved' but if problem comes back just reply here and we will remove that prefix (thread is not closed).

· *Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
he told me that almost all older cars in the MERCEDES have this relay that can be broken sometimes.
thank you again for your GREAT GREAT help, because if it were not for you, I would not have known that this was the problem, and I must say that 4 years, when I had it for sometime (the car stopped) I found the answer in this forum, and I knew it since then. Then it stopped doing that, do not know why, and now 3 months ago, I have had it everytime I drove somewhere, very often, and I know that this was the case. I went in 5 different service shops, and they were totally unaware of this, despite the fact that I gave them the answer that it was the K40, they told me no, this cannot be it. But I was sure, that this was the fault, because you wrote it here. Then in the authorised dealer the found that this was it. An authorised dealer with the ideal diagnostic mechanism it the best at far! No unaware service people for me anymore. Thank you!
i was just asking here about the K47 that the service wrote to me, if this was wrong, and yes, they meant K40. (check my first answer)

44,646 Posts
It looks like they mistakenly wrote K47 but meant K40.
As you know yourself, there is no K47 component as confirmed by members and that encyclopaedia link.

K40 is often an issue but these cars are roughly 25 years old so things will fail.
The good news is replacing with original part means many years before the next K40 failure.

· *Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hello,
I am having this problem with my SLK R 170, 1999 series, and for the past 8 months the car stops while running, and then I must wait , 20 min till it starts again, or the most, 1 hour.
Today, I went to the authorised dealer in Greece, the best one we have, and he wrote that I need to change the K 47 multirelay.
Is that it? Does he mean the K40? Why did he say K47?
I saw here in the forum that the K40, is responsible for many functions, among then the engine control, which I think this is the problem, when overheated. The problems that you are reffering here, and which I have, point at the K40 relay.

I just wanted to know if he means the same relay, refferring to as K47 multirelay, but he means the K40.
I searched everywhere, there is no such thing as K47.
If I ask him he will not answer, so please if you can help me, in this. Is it the same?
Is there a specific code numper for all of them?
Where can I look this up?

thank you very much!
Appreciate folks trying to help, but Maria has not been back in 3 days.
As the problem was 'urgent' best guess is that it is being fixed at a garage.
Hello! Unfortunately maybe bad noews. 2 and a 1/2 months ago, I asked you about this problem. Went to the most authorised dealer of MERCEDES BENZ in Greece and found out that I should replace K40, it is damaged the multi rele. They told me it would cost more than 500 euro, so I decided to fix it instead, as other repairmen told me.
I went to a repairman and he ressolded it.
Before the fix, the car would stop 2 or three times per day and wont start, or stoped in the middle of the road. You know how they stop if they have K40 problem.
The next day after the fix, the car was brand new, never stopped again...till one week ago. It stopped while driving, the common thing again. Of course it started after two tries of ignition, but nevertheless, I think sth is wrong again. And also, sometimes, it makes as it cannot start the ignition due to bad battery, but I changed the battery 3 months ago, put VARTA.
I called the man, he took the K40 again, he said he checked it up, and saw no problem. First he told me that he put another rele to do the job that the one damaged rele cannot do, and yesterday when he came he told me they replace the rele, which is is a lie according to what he first told me 2 months ago.
Then I went to anotheR garage, and he told me that they should fix the plate of K40.
I have my doupts about the fixing the first mad did he made.
First, after it was so bad and it stoed 2 or three times per day, the next day after the fixing, it never stopped again, and now it strated intimidatingly again, so it will worsen I think, I do not want to leave it now.
So I ask you, can it be that he did not do sth right? Because first it worked,and now it made this again. Do you think I should search for another good repaiman? What are your thoughts?
thank you

· *Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
1,012 Posts
Agreed. Buy an MB one not one of the many copies. You need the part number of the old one which is printed on it ....or give us your VIN and we can look it up. I find these guys reliable and price competitive MERCEDES Original Ersatzteile Shop mit Teilenummer und -katalog. At least use them to compare prices with your Greek MB dealer. If you are not confident about removing and replacing the K40 yourself any workshop can do it with a quick reference to YouTube. I quite like this one
- but there are many. It really is very easy to do in about 10 minutes.

· **Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,237 Posts
I went to a repairman and he ressolded it.
Do you think I should search for another good repaiman? What are your thoughts?
Absolutely not, waste of time and money !!

This is exactly why I recommend replacing them with a new MB Part !! Other than Solder there are many other things that go faulty in K40.
Repairs seldom last long !!

I don't advise folks to replace them just to be pedantic !!

Buy the K40 from Main Dealer Parts department and just plug it in yourself, in UK the K40 itself costs circa £170 and takes less than 10 minutes to fit it !!

Then you can forget about K40 for another 23 years :)

• Love
Reactions: M4rCu5 and Avel Du

44,646 Posts
So I ask you, can it be that he did not do sth right? Because first it worked,and now it made this again. Do you think I should search for another good repaiman? What are your thoughts?
thank you
No way of knowing absolutely.
I am no expert, but the most common thing that the top guys say is replace & do so with a quality item.

· *Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you guys! I really haven t thought of buying new one, since they said here they would charge me 500 euro. They even charge the placement, thought I saw it how easy I can replace it. I will definately search for a new one I think yes.Yesterday I saw the prices of new ones I can buy from abroad, and it was so amazing the differrnce from the dealer here. From 117 euro tll 175 for a brand new one. And the dealer charges almost 500 euro that is why I decided to fix it!
I will check the code and I will tell you exactly the Nr. Thank you so much about this!

44,646 Posts
Thank you guys! I really haven t thought of buying new one, since they said here they would charge me 500 euro. They even charge the placement, thought I saw it how easy I can replace it. I will definately search for a new one I think yes.Yesterday I saw the prices of new ones I can buy from abroad, and it was so amazing the differrnce from the dealer here. From 117 euro tll 175 for a brand new one. And the dealer charges almost 500 euro that is why I decided to fix it!
I will check the code and I will tell you exactly the Nr. Thank you so much about this!

Keep in mind that as both Greece and Germany are in EU and Germany has good MB stock, it may be worth searching there.

· **Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,237 Posts
Just make sure it is a genuine MB Part, do not buy off internet sites, there is too many fake items !!

Reactions: Avel Du and M4rCu5

· *Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
1,012 Posts
You are unlikely to get an MB one for less than about €240, but it's a lot less than the €500 you were quoted. Remember different car models have different units so you must get the right one!

· *Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
4,000 Posts
Ok, I will lok for the part Nr and I will wite it down here, and i you know some Sites where I can byu trustworthy items, then you re welcome. Thank you so much for your thoughts, because you made me decide to do the right thing!
Ask for a data card in our data card section - Vehicle Data Card | Mercedes SLK World - so that we can look up part no's for you via your VIN

· *Registered
1999 SLK200K
39 Posts
21 - 40 of 96 Posts