Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought myself an old SLK230 1997 in silver, and just thought I would say hello from sunny Cornwall!!!
I have spent the last couple of hours reading these forums...WOW what a mine of information, anyway bye for now.
Jim

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,419 Posts
Welcome from sunny Florida!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome from cold (sub-0 celsius) Lancashire.

Tell us a bit more about your car?

I have a silver 99 SLK 230 with 57k miles on the clock. With a "personalized" plate, no-one would think it was almost 10 years old.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from cold (sub-0 celsius) Lancashire.

Tell us a bit more about your car?

I have a silver 99 SLK 230 with 57k miles on the clock. With a "personalized" plate, no-one would think it was almost 10 years old.

John
Thanks for the welcome guys, a bit more about my car, its a 1997 originally on a P plate but now on a private plate, and like yours it looks like a much newer car, its got 84000 on the clock and has a full service history though the last 2 were done by an indy and it is now in need of a service, booked with an indy next week.
It is fitted with 17" alloys (not Merc) and seems to have been well cared for, all books are present, as is the tool kit, first aid kit and the original MB electric tyre pump.
I already have a C class which I love dearly, and I always fancied an SLK but they are not a very good family car, but this one came along at what I thought was a good price so I bought it.
From what I am reading on here, ace forum by the way, it would seem mine is a very early one, no air con, non adjustable steering column, I will post up some pics of it soon.
Regards Jim.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,419 Posts
Oh No!. when you push the 'thanks button', her smarttop goes up! Now you can get a smarttop for your slk 230! only 2 more days to get the 10% discount!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jim

and welcome from a very cold Scotland, I am sure you will like your SLK
It's truly a magnificent car!

·
Registered
165 Posts
The right car at the right time

Like yours, my SLK arrived at a time when a 2-seater was not exactly what I needed. However a company car and a son who'd just passed his driving test made it easier.

I actually went to look at a Porsche Boxster but saw the SLK next to it. Newer, better condition, two-thirds of the mileage and a better proposition all around with a service history although latterly, like yours from non-MB garages. It was a no-brainer and Mrs John like it too...an added bonus!

To be safe I bought a warranty from an independent supplier but (touching wood as I write this) there's no sign of needing to claim.

Interesting thing is that I always wanted a Porsche 911 since I saw Steve McQueen driving one in the opening sequence of his film Le Mans (1970).

Last week's Auto Express ran a test of 6 Porsches starting with a 1972 911E. I was surprised to see 165 bhp, 0-60 in 7.9 and a top speed of 136mph. Fast in its day?

Maybe the Porsche is iconic but I think the SLK is probably the better everyday proposition.

Regrettably the SLK (in the UK at least) suffers from a slight image problem as it's thought of as "a woman's car", whatever that means. In my book anyone who can handle a small two seater with the best part of 200 bhp is OK.

I'd like to think that was the voice of maturity speaking!

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regrettably the SLK (in the UK at least) suffers from a slight image problem as it's thought of as "a woman's car", whatever that means. In my book anyone who can handle a small two seater with the best part of 200 bhp is OK.

I'd like to think that was the voice of maturity speaking!

John
Thanks again for the welcome, that made me smile, it's more macho than my previous "toy" an MR2 roadster, I looked a proper hairdresser!! plus I was too fat for it, oh and too old, oh and I only got one good leg so getting in and out was a pain!!!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Welcome from Arizona! Please explore and enjoy your time with us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.