Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my Custom Engraved Windristictor with extreme light kit. My reason for ordering was to support this super company because of how impressed I was that they supported the forum as a Ride of the Month sponsor! Although I don't "need" it, there is no doubt that it really does add a bit of "Cool" factor to the car. Now that I have ordered it I am excited to receive it! I've been dealing with Rebekkah who is really seems like a super Gal!

One quick question, how long do you think that you can leave it lit with the engine turned off before it will drain the battery beyond the point of starting? I'm thinking that it would be fun to leave lighted while at shows and/or meets.

Thank you Windrestrictor for all your support to our SLK community.

·
Vendor
3,780 Posts
Thanks a lot for posting up about your new project. If it's the one that was ordered about 15 minutes ago, WOW I love your design idea and think it will look amazing on your SLK. Thank you so much for your business!

As for the lighting question, the Windrestrictor will not draw enough power on it's own to drain your battery even if you left it on all night. However, I would have to ask what else would be on in the car so that the power is running to the product. The 171 is normally hooked up to the 12V socket that is hidden underneath the passenger side foot well, left knee area. Is that hidden socket hot all the time, or does it only come on when you turn the car on? My guess is that it has to be in accessory mode, key in the ignition for that power source to be on, but it may be on all the time. I think you would be safe in keeping it in accessory mode but if you have to turn on the parking ligts, running lights etc. to give power to that socket then I would only leave it on for about 30 minutes at a time then start the car for a minute to recharge.

The other alternative is a battery pack, used only for car shows. :tu:

Stephen

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
It's switched - Stephen, last time I checked the WR was LED powered - I assume it still is. Can you tell us what the current draw is? Would be trivial to then calculate how many hours it could safely be left on with the car off..

·
Vendor
3,780 Posts
Per Engineer,

It would take several days. Even at full display draw (call it 150 mA), with the standard charged car battery being 45 A-hrs, it would take 300 hours to discharge the battery. That presumes, of course, that the auto lights aren't on as well (that dominates the draw)...

I hope this helps,

Stephen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts