Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey, trouble. If you find something you think your wife will like, be prepared to make a sacrifice, because when you want to drive it, it will be "her car". Good luck on your search. You have made a great choice for rides.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,517 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year)(when you get one!) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on your location and model and year.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’ and ‘location’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Welcome from Los Angeles.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Not sure on your budget but consider a MY2009 (or do they start as early as MY2008?) SLK 350. It has a more powerful engine but also better fuel economy then the earlier 350s.

I had a 2005 SLK 350 and it was a great car.

Welcome to the forum from SoCal.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,430 Posts
There was an oil usage with some early 2005's. Might want to do a search of the form for all the info on this. Maybe if possible think 2006 or later years.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

Facelifted R171 with the modified 350 engine started with model year 2009 in the US, and a later generation COMAND head unit. IIRC, some come with the sports package as standard (but this may be model year 2011).

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Thinking of purchasing an 05 or later 350 for my wife (not telling her) ......feedback would be welcome
There was an oil usage with some early 2005's. Might want to do a search of the form for all the info on this. Maybe if possible think 2006 or later years.
:confused:It's sad the 2005 SLK 350s are still "stigmatized" by the early production cars with possible oil consumption issues. Not all, but some within a specified engine range. Cars with the problem were covered under warranty which included several remedies. After six years, they should have all been identified and repaired. Here a LINK from a recent 2005 SLK purchaser who did everything right and still wound up with a SLK that fell within the problem range, has excessive oil consumption, that was never identified or repaired under factory warranty. Based on the potential problems, I would pass on any 2005 SLK 350 that falls within the "potential" problem range. That's common sense. However, a super duper, dirt cheap price on a low mileage, nicely equipped, "identified" 2005 SLK 350 that only requires a one quart oil injection every 1000 miles might(?) be a attractive deal.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan and good luck on your search.....

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
I just bought an 06 350, 21k miles. :rb

Why would you want to let your wife drive it?! :biglaugh:

There are lots of 06/07's out there and 08s are starting to come off lease (typically 3yrs). If I may ask, what's your budget? And where the heck are you? (Don't make the Sarge ask you twice....)

This forum is a stellar resource during and after your search - I can attest to that! Great bunch of guys and even a few gals! Good luck!

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,071 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No longer just looking

well the wife now has o
An 05 SLK350......... I appreciate all of the feedback and took into account these postings. I am in the New Orleans area and limited availability in the region for these vehicles, I see that as the ones who have them do not let them go!
Went with the 05 as the price was right and the mileage was extremely low (18k). Also added 3yr/36k warranty. Wife loves it.......winner

Will be posting questions in their proper place. Thx for the input

1 - 20 of 27 Posts