Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I've mentioned before in another thread that my technical skills are basically limited to using a screwdriver and changing a light bulb. This thing was so freakin' easy to swap out. Literally took me 2 minutes to do.

Took it out for a very spirited drive with the top up on a 45 degree day, and the first chance I had to floor the throttle really was a VERY pleasant surprise. In past cars that I've owned where I've added a CAI, the increased intake noise really didn't present itself until about 4500 RPM. With this, I was greeted with a deep, aggressive tone immediately after the pedal hit the floor. It really brought the "European" sound quality to a whole new level.

After about 10 minutes of driving up and down a fairly quiet secondary road, taking every opportunity to enjoy the new sound, I decided to suck it up and put the top down. Here, the increased intake volume and deeper tone wasn't quite as noticeable, but I do believe that the sport box ended up having some impact on the exhaust note. In any event, in the last couple of days I've been toying with the idea of some sort of exhaust mod, but with this air box, I might very well put that idea aside for the time being.

Cost was a hair over $200. If you're looking to breathe (pun intended) a little new life into your old SLK, this might very well be the ticket.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,213 Posts
post some pics for the crew!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha...I certainly will tomorrow if you think it would be helpful or informative, but to be honest, there's not one thing about it that looks different from the stock box when looking at it installed. The big difference I noticed before I installed it, is that it had 2 open chambers in the rear, pointing towards the cabin, which redirects the sound so we can enjoy it. :smile:

·
94,213 Posts
They will want to know what it looks like, where did you buy it from, etc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that I can happily assist with. I got it from OEdiscountparts.com, which another member pointed out to me as a good source to get my windscreen. The sport airbox part number is 2730901201. $210 with free shipping.

FYI, the airbox came with 2 OEM filters already in place.

I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

·
94,213 Posts
you mean you changed your filters? I thought you got a new airbox. which is it? :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha...it was the first video I found that illustrated how to take out the box and replace it properly. Obviously, in my case i skipped the part about changing the filters. :grin:

·
94,213 Posts

·
94,213 Posts
Thank you Sir, May I have another?

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,424 Posts
Other then a change in sound, any difference in performance? Better torque, better mileage?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Other then a change in sound, any difference in performance? Better torque, better mileage?
I haven't, and don't plan on dynoing it, so I can't really attest to any real performance gains. I would venture to guess that it doesn't add any HP or Torque. However, I'm a believer in "one's perception is one's reality", and my perception after putting this in is that I'm driving a faster, sportier, louder car compared to how it felt before.

Gas mileage? Ha! I'm probably getting about 8 miles to the gallon the way I've been driving it lately. :grin:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm going to say other than the sound and the placebo effect on a n/a engine there is going to be minimal torque or HP gains. This is especially true if no other mods like exhaust, cams, headers, ECU mods, etc... are present.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haha...I certainly will tomorrow if you think it would be helpful or informative, but to be honest, there's not one thing about it that looks different from the stock box when looking at it installed. The big difference I noticed before I installed it, is that it had 2 open chambers in the rear, pointing towards the cabin, which redirects the sound so we can enjoy it. :smile:
Were there any differences in air routing or shape? Intake tracts usually have structures to create resonance, or dampening, that assist in improving the flow of the air charge into the throttle body(ies) and are most effective over a defined rpm range. I hope MB didn't put these in just to allow sound back to the cabin... if they offer an improved aural experience but no performance benefit they must be located in an area that doesn't negatively effect air flow.

Were you able to get any pictures of the openings on the sport airbox? Could this be a free mod with a dremel and some patience or were the openings channeled through tubes or shaped ports?

Sorry, about all the questions...

Do I ask too many questions?
:wink:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
"Thank you sir, may I have another"?!?

I would imagine that uttering that phrase to Jeff back in the day would have had unpleasant consequences. Something along the lines of "SIR?!? Don't insult me, soldier. It's 'Yes Master Sergeant!', do you understand?" Followed by some number of pushups, laps around the company area, extra guard duty, extra KP duty, or any other of the myriad punishments that senior NCOs are rightfully famous for dishing out.

And yes, I am sorry for the thread hijack and will jog around the yard in penance...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well that I can happily assist with. I got it from OEdiscountparts.com, which another member pointed out to me as a good source to get my windscreen. The sport airbox part number is 2730901201. $210 with free shipping.

FYI, the airbox came with 2 OEM filters already in place.

I'll snap a pic tomorrow.
Craniac - When I search that part # on OEdiscountparts.com that part number comes back for E550 Base - 273.971 - V8 - 5.5L - GAS

If I understand you correctly, this works on a SLK350 - 272.963 - V6 ???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts