Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Similar story to other threads on here about swapping to an aftermarket headunit.

I want to swap to a double din pioneer MVH-AV270BT unit.

Its a fairly standard but modern unit with bluetooth audio and telephone etc.

So i purchased a connects 2 kit and set about taking my centre console apart.

As you can see from the photo's i have a fibre optic system and the connects 2 kit i have doesnt work with this.

Having looked through the connects 2 website it looks like they dont offer any kits that are plug and play for fibre optic.

As you can see from my pics the OEM unit i have fitted has two plugs going into the back of it the main fibre optic one and the smaller one (assuming this is aerial or sat nav receiver but i could be wrong).

None of the audio in my car is branded H & K so i'm assuming i dont have a H & K system but i could be wrong (apologies for my ignorance if i am wrong).

I've seen other people refer to the dietz kits but i cant easily see on their website if they have a suitable kit for my car.

So as a newbie i humbly ask for your help to see if anyone knows of a plug and play conversion for the fibreoptic set up i have in my car to use an aftermarket head unit.

Cheers

Karl

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
Posted it 4 u :D

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
You have Comand with the audio gateway (AGW) in the footwell on the passenger side.

The speaker, main power, antenna and CAN connections can all be re-routed down there, but you may need more adapters if you don't want to cut into the cabling ...

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,857 Posts
Hi Karl, there is an adaptor called MOST-H.U.R. by a company called NAV TV but it costs a fortune. You would be better off replacing the audio gateway with a new amplifier and it is possible to make wiring adaptors in expensively for this using a SOT lead (used to connect hands free phone kits into standard car systems). I think the one I used was a SOT-922 from autoleads

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Col the nav tv option is a lot of money at £289 but then i guess if you factor in a new amp, cutting into the existing wiring etc when you dont go the nav tv option then it starts to look a little more reasonable.

Hmmm

·
*Premium Member
Sold my SLK
3,554 Posts
At a high level, most of the modern head units will replace all of the items secured to the MOST ring in the R171 (CD Player, SAT Radio, BT Phone). The only one it won't replace is the TeleAid unit, but that one may not matter. As Sean said, the biggest issue that you have is that all of your speakers terminate in the Passenger foot well, and not at the Headunit.

Here is a link that describes the Audio systems in your car. http://www.billsden.org/fileadmin/media/mercedes/slk/docs/train_audio_comm.pdf

Best Wishes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.