Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got kompressor in my 1998 SLK230 rebuilt. I believe that my kompressor has been on its way out since I purchased the vehicle. First noticed because of poor performance which was followed by a check engine light. Code said it was air sensor. Replaced it,but a week later same light and same code. Checked new sensor and it was covered in oil. Realized then that seals were bad in kompressor. I purchased a so called "rebuilt" kompressor on E-Bay and had it installed. I picked up car and barely made it across town before a metal against metal sound came from the kompressor. :eek: :mad: Went back to my mechanic and he removed kompressor and took it apart only to discover that whoever "rebuilt" it had left spacer/washers out of bottom so fan blades were rubbing the bottom of kompressor. It was so damaged it could not be rebuilt. So I now had to have my original kompressor rebuilt,the bad one removed and the newly rebuilt one installed. "Sigh" :soap: Probably should of had mine rebuilt in the first place,but the price of the "rebuilt" one on E-Bay was to good to be true and it was. You win some and you lose some. So now I finally got my baby back,its running like a top and I still somehow managed to get off cheaper than purchasing a new one. :hb: Its getting a little cold here in Virginia at night,but I'm still running around with the top down,windows up and the heat blasting. R)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea. Probably wouldn't be necessary in this case though. It was from a private individual,who had an SLK,but sold it and had kompressor as a spare that he never used. Tried not to get upset with seller,because I don't think he knew it was bad,having never used it. Was sold as is with no returns,but may at least e-mail him and tell him what happened

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.