Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked my 230 up from the shop. I had the engine replaced along with an ASP pulley, colder plugs, larger fuel pressure regulator and new (used) supercharger. Just a quick back story. The previous owner had let the car sit outside putting on less 5k miles in almost 5 years. I had some gasket problems and it rattled pretty bad as the bearings were all pretty much shot. I was lucky enough to find an engine in town for $600 and realized that it would be smarter and quite possibly cheaper to just go with a new engine. And hey mine as well do the ASP pulley at the same time!! :)

It's been raining here all day (go figure since it's been in the 80's and sunny the previous 4-5 days that it's been in the shop). So the ride home I was taking it easy. I was very disappointed with what seemed like less performance than before it went in!! Thinking to myself that I hoped that it was one of the intake hoses from the MAF relocation, that I did the previous weekend, coming loose. See picture below. I could only find two t-clamps in town before taking it into the shop and the mechanic told me that he couldn't get the best test drive in because he didn't get the other two needed clamps in until today. It tried to take it out with just regular hose clamps and they just popped off.

I pulled in the garage popped the hood and bingo the increased boost had knocked part off the hose right after the inter cooler. I put the t-clamp back on and took it out for a spin. All I can say is wow!!! I am very impressed with how much more torque there is. It pulls so much harder. It takes no time to get to highway speed (and then some).

Yesterday I ordered the Eurocharge tune. Next week once the cable gets here we will have to see how much a tune helps.

Since owning I've fixed/upgraded the following:
PSE vacuum pump (lights wouldn't turn off)
New Shocks
Replace factory head unit with an Alpine (upgrading the amp this weekend)
New floor mats
New paint on the hood and trunk (was keyed before I bought it)
New Wheels/tires (great deal from tirerack)
Drilled rotors
Ceramic pads
New hood and trunk shocks
Repainted the interior (Vipond paint)
New floor mats
Clear corner lights
MAF relocation (helped smooth out the engine at lower rpm's)
New Engine (see above)
Eurocharged tuning (ordered yesterday)

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Nice job, I had the same problem with the hose blowing off even with the T clamps. There's nothing worse than getting into it on the highway and the hose pops off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you fix the problem?? I work at a company that builds stainless steel food processing equipment. I was thinking about designing some stainless tubing to replace most of it.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
How did you fix the problem?? I work at a company that builds stainless steel food processing equipment. I was thinking about designing some stainless tubing to replace most of it.
I just tightened them down until they stopped coming off. It was always the super charger side i had problems with.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,726 Posts
sounds like your realy going to enjoy the car after all you have done :burnout:

have you got any other pictures of the car engine bay ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Like most of the performance threads this one hit a Brick wall, what's up with that?

yes, I know this thread is old but The result is typical.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
Probably because the original posters leave or sell their car. This op was on last: Last Activity: 06-18-2012

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.