Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum a few weeks ago and I've learned a lot just from reading posts. This past week my headliner popped on my 99 SLK230. I called a shop and they told me at least $500 because there are so many screws that have to be taken out. The guy said you have to "practically take the roof off those things". I decided to check it out here. Seems like everyone was saying 3 screws in the front and 3 on each side and the headliner slides out. Could it really be that easy????
Well, I put the top down and sure enough - 3 screws on the top and 3 on each side and the headliner popped right out! I sprayed some 3M adhesive on the backing and tacked it back up. Putting it back in was a cinch too! I couldn't believe it was that easy. I think I'm just going to order a new one and replace the whole thing but at least the headliner isn't hitting me in the head while i drive now!
Since i was on a roll, i decided to fix those little straps that flap around in the wind (they're right behind the headrest but i don't know what they do.) I managed to get my hand under the cover and get a hold of the other end and reattached the drivers side. I couldn't find the attaching piece on the passenger's side so that will get a little piece of velcro - as another poster suggested.
Thanks to everyone here for giving me the confidence to try it on my own. It makes owning the car even more fun!

Now, if I can just figure out why my roof alert button keeps going off....

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Since it seems like the locking cylinder under your headliner above the mirror starts to leak after 10-12 years, before you spring for a new headliner, I'd make sure that there is no leak there and that it has been replaced once. It is a little harder than the headliner DIY, but is definitely a DIY job to the tune of twenty bucks or so.

Reactions: JaysonM

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Since it seems like the locking cylinder under your headliner above the mirror starts to leak after 10-12 years, before you spring for a new headliner, I'd make sure that there is no leak there and that it has been replaced once. It is a little harder than the headliner DIY, but is definitely a DIY job to the tune of twenty bucks or so.
I totally support that idea! Usually headliner can't start bubbling because of nothing =) 10 year cars are famous for roof hydraulics leaks. Check the area of the top locking cylinder!

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
New head line, I paid around $300 with shop discount. I think they list for around $425 had to order though dealer and they had to get it from Germany. I think it took about 6 weeks. That was 2 years ago and yeas rebuild your roof before you replace head liner. That's why I had to replace mine, the cylinders leaked and got oil on liner and could not get glue to stick to liner base when I tried to put new cloth liner in. Just a heads up. :Beer:

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No leaks! Just droopy headliner. I think i might try a local upholstery shop. Maybe I'll try to do it myself....

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
If the O-ring in that locking cylinder is original, you're on borrowed time. Be a shame to ruin a new headliner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.