Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to germany for 2 weeks and just got back few days ago.

I am originally from germany stuttgart,so I went to see my family and all...

And while I was there I had to visit the brand new, new opened
Mercedes Benz Museum there.
Thought I would tell you guys a little about it...it has 6-7 floors and its a dream to any mercedes benz lover/fan.

I had a blast and you basically see the whole history of MB from earliest day to 2009...every single mb that was ever made.
Just classic...and the place is huge and its right next to the main Mercedes Benz headquarter.
At the headquarters I saw MB we do not even have here yet,nor will...
just thrilling..and you could sit in any car and test it.

I was amazed by the new 2009, SLK 200 the seats,the inside, just breathtaking...u not only have heated seats, you also have a heated back and neck part...the steering wheel..just wow.

And on other not, since I was in germany and in the city of Mercedes Benz - Stuttgart, I have never seen so many mercedes benz's driving around..literally every 2nd car was...
And alot, alot of SLK's....the funny part...most slk's there are driving by dudes between the ages of 20-30....
which is also funny, because in the US the uneducated unknown folks believe only someone that has DR. title or is in a managment position can buy a Benz...in germany its like anyone who works.
Then again...germans work for a car they buy...they are less into buying homes there..so they love paying for a car then anything else...

Its just funny seeing yound dudes driving a brand new SLK's etc...which is like normal there...

Oh yes, I also enjoyed driving on the autobahn going 130 mph and still being passed by porsche's and MB's, and I had a rental car,which was a Golf Plus.
\
I took few pics, and I will upload some on here...

Hope this was not boring to anyone...

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience I think they have the Pope's G-class cabriolet and princess Diana's R129 SL over there and a couple of 300SL roadsters.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,245 Posts
Not boring at all! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
720 Posts
In my experience, young guys driving new expensive cars is not a common pattern across the country. Stuttgart is a bit different, because they have so many employees working for either Porsche or Daimler in the region. Employees get special deals that make otherwise expensive cars much more affordable. They usually drive their "Jahreswagen" (yearly car) for just one year and then sell it for a profit.

Another interesting difference between Germany and the US is that even though they drive much faster over there on the Autobahn, they tend to drive economical, lower-performance models, most of which are not even available in the US (e.g. SLK200, BMW 318i). That's why from the perspective of most Germans, the obsession of Americans with horsepower is a little peculiar.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Interesting concept. How much of that has to do with government push?
Quite a bit, on both sides. In Germany, excessive taxes on fuel make people especially mindful of gas consumption. In the US, it's the ridiculously low speed limits that make a 300+ hp car a bit of a sad joke.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry, but for someone who grew up in Germany, 65mph as a general speed limit is completely and utterly ridiculous. I can go almost twice that speed in my 115hp New Beetle. Driving something like an M3 around here as a daily driver is like shooting pigeons with a bazooka.

·
Registered
250 Posts
In a reversal of roles with Ikarus, as an American living in Germany for 31 years combined, I tend to have to agree with him... I love the USA and will end up back in the states some day, but my wife and I have loved our European experiance. I'm back in the US frequently (all over) and driving there is one of the most frustrating experiances ever. Too slow and too many idiots on the road. Where ever I settle down, it will have to be near a proper road circuit... :usa:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Kevin, Kuwait is worse trust me here its like being in the fast and furious people put their lives and yours to danger with the type of driving over here.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Kevin, Kuwait is worse trust me here its like being in the fast and furious people put their lives and yours to danger with the type of driving over here.
Gotta agree with you there Mo, but honestly, it seems to me to be like that in most of the gulf states.

I love driving in Germany and France - heck most of Europe other than Italy, which just scares me! :)

UK is a bit different, but speed limits here are low, traffic bad, petrol expensive, and road tax based on engine displacment. So I'm quite happy with my supercharged 1.9L C class...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well we will expect photos of your deutsh experience. Last time I was there I bringed my new E Class (that I sold last december) and loved it, as the other trips I´ve made to that wonderfull country. My speed confort zone was at 100/120 mph, and that was in thouse non limit areas, beside that I have absolutly no problem with the road limits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.