Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My convertible top squeaks when moving over uneven surfaces. The dealer tells me there's a $500 lubrication kit but I was thinking I could do it myself but can't access the seals when the convertible is closed or open. Anyone know how I can stop the top halfway open?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location and vehicle info in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale.
usercp, edit your details, location/vehicle.

do a search. you can stop it in the middle provided it does not have the smarttop mod. then u would have to turn off the mod. start car and hold top button back and then let it go when the top is where u want it to stop.

If you have not, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you have not, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates and repairs to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Congratulations on your ride and welcome from Arizona:)

You can lube it yourself, but when you pause the operation it only holds for about 15 seconds before returning to a resting position. MB props it open with a tool of some kind. It may have nothing to do with lubing. It might be an alignment issue. Tell us where you hear the rattling.

Do a search for "rattling top" or the like and you'll find plenty of suggestions to try.

Here's one to start
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/1708-trunk-rattle-solution.html

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome Sams55. What model year is the 55? Are you in the U.S.?

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Welcome pictures would be good as mine is doing it as well :(

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Congratulations on your ride and welcome from Arizona:)

You can lube it yourself, but when you pause the operation it only holds for about 15 seconds before returning to a resting position. MB props it open with a tool of some kind. It may have nothing to do with lubing. It might be an alignment issue. Tell us where you hear the rattling.

Do a search for "rattling top" or the like and you'll find plenty of suggestions to try.

Here's one to start
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/1708-trunk-rattle-solution.html
With engine running, the roof can be halted midway when using the center console roof control lever for a few minutes. Do this with extreme caution as one cannot predict when the hydraulic pressure will drop and the roof starts to move.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.