Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '03 SLK32 that has 130k on it. There is an engine oil leak somewhere below the oil filter housing but I can not see the actual source. Under the car the oil runs out from behind the A/C compressor and drips down to the floor. Any ideas on the source of this leak?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,412 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did search the forum and could not find anything specific to the front drivers side of the engine or engine accessories such as the oil filter housing. I did go under the car before posting and as from looking above the view is pretty limited. It was from under the car that I could see that the oil was running down from above and coming out from behind the A/C compressor. The leak is engine oil and not power steering fluid, coolant, ATF, windshield washer fluid, brake fluid or rain drainage! One issue for me is that I am not familiar with the 3.2l V6 yet nor the differences between the AMG and non-AMG configuration of it. With the limited view available it seems like the leak might be in the joint between the oil filter housing and the engine block. Is this possible? The leak does not seem to be from the valve cover joint or the lower oil pan joint. Does anyone have any experience a leak in this area? I would be grateful of any input here. I really don't relish starting to ds-assembling the equipment on the front of the engine to improve the view!.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,357 Posts
I did search the forum and could not find anything specific to the front drivers side of the engine or engine accessories such as the oil filter housing. I did go under the car before posting and as from looking above the view is pretty limited. It was from under the car that I could see that the oil was running down from above and coming out from behind the A/C compressor. The leak is engine oil and not power steering fluid, coolant, ATF, windshield washer fluid, brake fluid or rain drainage! One issue for me is that I am not familiar with the 3.2l V6 yet nor the differences between the AMG and non-AMG configuration of it. With the limited view available it seems like the leak might be in the joint between the oil filter housing and the engine block. Is this possible? The leak does not seem to be from the valve cover joint or the lower oil pan joint. Does anyone have any experience a leak in this area? I would be grateful of any input here. I really don't relish starting to ds-assembling the equipment on the front of the engine to improve the view!.
There is a large O ring where the oil filter housing attaches to the engine block. That may be your leak source. I find it helpful to use Brake Clean to wash down an area so it is easier to identify exactly where the leak is while not trying to deal with all the built up dirt and grunge from the leaking oil. Good luck.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
233 Posts
Jaybutter,

I don't know if you've gotten to the bottom of this yet, however, I do have some input to offer that may help you.

This week, due to the frigid temperatures, my SLK32 developed an oil leak in that general area, and I was able to trace the source. Mine is leaking from in between the oil filter housing and the attached oil cooler, there are 2 o-ring seals there. The leak also made a mess of my engine and trashed my serpentine belt, so I am replacing it as well. It's not uncommon for these same seals to leak on other Mercedes engines apparently. I plan on doing a full DIY when my seals come in off of order, but I'll list the Mercedes part numbers for you:

1121840261- Larger Oil Cooler Gasket
3892670080- Smaller Oil Cooler Gasket (Note: This is an updated version of the gasket, old part number was 1121840361)
1129970092- Serpentine Belt

One important thing to note as well- you will want to use the OEM MB gaskets, they have more 'meat' on them than any of the aftermarket ones, by many other's accounts.

I forgot to add as well- if it's leaking from the bottom of the housing and not the oil cooler, there is another seal there as well:

1121840061- Oil Filter Housing to Timing Cover Gasket

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
514 Posts
One issue for me is that I am not familiar with the 3.2l V6 yet nor the differences between the AMG and non-AMG configuration of it.
I also don't know if you've sorted this yet, however, I do have some input that may help you in the future.

Re the differences between the engines .....
Your AMG has a handbuilt version of the type 112.960 engine found in the 320, with two spark plugs per cylinder and is fitted with an intercooled twin-screw supercharger. The crankshaft has been modified, as well as the balance shaft and the oil pump, and you have new con rods, pistons, camshafts and valve springs. You also have a different exhaust system.
With the Bosch management system in place the engine is around 354bhp, compared with the 320's 221bhp, and you have around 332lbft of torque under your foot.
'Cause of the torque involved it was only available with an auto box, and I think they were from the V8's. Introduce the Speedshift feature and torque converter lock up in lower gears, and you've got yourself a little pocket rocket !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did you sort this out yet? I just noticed this morning that I have very small leak on my SLK32. Haven't found the source yet, but plan on looking this coming week for it. It's time to change the oil anyway. Hope it's a simple fix and its easy to do in the garage. I was suprised to see it actually.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just solved my oil leak! All my fault because I checked my oil level and didn't seat the dip stick when I put it back in. Oil came up the tube and a few drops came out. Feel like an idiot but also glad that's all it was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.