Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just recently upgraded to a 1999 SLK230 and am loving it. **not just because I am upgrading from a Chevy Cavalier hehehe

What a difference.

As a first time 'luxury car' owner, I have a couple questions about my new toy.

Factory or after market?

I have been lead to believe that the previous owner stuck with only official MB parts when something needed replacing. Is it a huge deal? I have a running light out. Do I hit my local Lordco for a bulb? Do I go to the dealership? Do I spend the $$$ on crazy expensive after market ones? Is there a difference between the $9 bulb and the $49 one?

Squeaking brakes?

The rear brakes had just been replaced and are noisy after driving for a few minutes. I have heard that since they use higher quality materials and the pads are harder, they tend to squeak. It sounds like a line to me. (I hate being a noob)

Any hints?

As a first time MB owner, I'm hoping someone may have some hints or tips to pass along...something that may help me extend the life of my car or increase the enjoyment I will get out of driving it.

Thanks a million and have a great day

MB-Geek

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I hope you have as much fun with your car as I am having with mine. As to parts, running light bulbs, I'd buy at the parts store. Filters and stuff that matters, consider OE. You know it will fit and work. If budget constraints are a real consideration, GOOD after market parts, not wally world parts. For instance, Wix filters are usually re-packaged Mann or other German OEM pieces. On the rear brakes, were the pads replaced without re-surfacing the rotors? That can cause squeaks. If the pads were not broken-in correctly, they may be glazed which can also cause squealing. Those more technically astute that I will chime in, these are just some ideas.

My first roadster was a '60 TR-3 that I bought used in 1965, little cars with two seats and no roof are addictive. :)

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,360 Posts
Welcome from Phoenix Az. I got an R170 and i buy some parts from the Dealer some after market it all depends on the part that needs to be replaced. Enjoy every mile on your new Slk

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome from London via Mexico City!! What Uncle John said is pretty good advice - for bulbs your local auto supply shop is fine. For fluids, I stick 100% with MB recommendations, and source where ever I get the best price. For filters I use OEM only, and my dealers can usually get them to me for about the same price as Amazon..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow...thank you for the quick replies, it is appreciated. This looks like it is a pretty helpful community.

All information is a great help.

:)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California. Is there a good independent MB repair shop nearby? Perhaps some anti-squeal paste on the brake pads may help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to check and see if I can track down a reputable repair shop. Way too many sketchy people out there.

I have a few other questions...but I will have to wait until I fully search the forum for the answers before posting.

Thanks again to everyone who has voiced an opinion.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Welcome from Eugene, Oregon via San Diego, California!

It is not normal for OEM pads to squeal; if there squeal it is mostly due to improper preparation during installation or improper break–in.
If nothing will help follow Eddy’s advice and try some 'Anti Squeal' paste on the back of the pads.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan......

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Welcome from Ottawa! Enjoy the car to the fullest. If you're not happy with the work, take it back - it's your money. Can anyone out that side of the country recommend a good indy or dealer?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts