Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
f you squint a bit, the SLK looks like the giant-killing McLaren Mercedes SLR. And if you go for the 55 AMG, it goes like the SLR too. Sort of. Its 5.5 litre engine might lack the supercharger that makes other AMG-tuned cars shred tarmac, but the SLK 55 is light so it doesn’t need the boost. It sounds like an American muscle car, goes like a rocket and handles well in a brutish way. It also comes with a retractable hard top, making it probably the most complete sports car available. Which is why I bought one.

Mercedes-Benz SLK: The AMG is top of the four-model SLK range, which includes the SLK 280 and SLK 350. The entry-level SLK 200 Kompressor (£28,070) is the best value for money and is excellent to drive.

readers comments:

"I am delighted to say that i bought one too, and before JC as well. Every time i get in it and drive any distance it brings a smile to my face, i even drive with the radio off just to listen to the engine and that exhaust note. brilliant car! Any compliants - only that the appaling quality of british roads makes tyre roar a pain on motorway driving when the engine quietens down on cruise."

link:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/good_car_bad_car/article740898.ece

·
Registered
720 Posts
It goes like an SLR? Hmmm... oh ok, "sort of", he says. I have to say that as entertaining as he is, I take everything Clarkson says with a grain of salt. Also, he's quite the Mercedes fan-boy. But then again, he's still right about the SLK being a great car.

D

·
0 Posts
Ikarus, Drive both car's one after the other and you will know what he means mate.

The SLR of course accelerates faster thats without a doubt but is not as clear cut as the stats make it sound when you consider the 4.3 0-60 for the average 55 and the way it delivers the power, the feeling in the SLK is certainly more impressive considering the actual acceleration takes a short time longer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.