Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Oakridge next week on business and would like to stop by the JD plant. Is it worth the trip? do they sell more than T shirts n hats at their store? Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I have never been, but have heard of a tour and the sale of old oak barrels. If you are in the Atomic City you may want to consider the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. It would be a good half day or a day trip from there.

Enjoy your time in Tennessee.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,427 Posts
Did the tour a year ago. Do suggest to take the tour. Yes they do sell T shirts plus everything you can find JD name one it in the gift shop and down the street a block away in town. There is a corner in the gift shop where you can buy JD by a special law in Tennessee. Rest of the county is dry (can not sell alcohol drinks) I think the tour was free if I recall correctly. Have fun

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
I've been there, the tour is great. Wait until you get a whiff of whats cooking lol..its fantastic! I dont think the jd there is much cheaper than retail, but it's a great tour and a pretty ride through the foothills if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As a Tennessee native, I would highly recommend it. I agree with Reb about Skyway or Deal's Gap (The Dragon) as well. There's just tons of two lane twisties to enjoy!

·
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds great, JD tour it is. As for the twisty roads i'll have to pass as we will be in a rental. Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,427 Posts
From Oak Ridge to JD is around 160 miles and need to plan several hours for the tour and visit. Almost a day trip. see website http://www.jackdaniels.com/visit

Another day would be the Tail of the Dragon. From Oak Ridge down to and across is around 85 miles one way. You can test out the rental car on this trip. It is route US129 between TN and NC http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

·
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
160? I thought it was less, Hmmm might have to re think that trip not sure if I will have enough down time. Guess I'll find out next week.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds great, JD tour it is. As for the twisty roads i'll have to pass as we will be in a rental. Thanks for the info
What do you mean you'll have to pass on the twisties? A rental only means you can't drive it like you almost stole it! (I picked up a Fiat 500 in Houston last year that saw more "air time" than the Beatles on an oldies station.)
:bannana::burnout:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts