Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
10 Posts
At times but feed him inf he backs off 😂😂

Sadly in any Review they will find positives & Negatives to sell / promote there YouTube Videos …….
if they dont well .

Id like to know what he drives as a daily drive ?
and im sure we could all comment on that . 😎😎
Give James' channel a chance, he's reviewed many of my cars and his collection at present is quite something. Ferrari 550, 430 Scuderia, Celica GT4, Honda S2K to name just a few.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200 - From Kent, UK
6,012 Posts
Give James' channel a chance, he's reviewed many of my cars and his collection at present is quite something. Ferrari 550, 430 Scuderia, Celica GT4, Honda S2K to name just a few.
No idea first posted review ive ever seen of him is on here is the comparison of the above SLK’s .

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
453 Posts
Hi all. Yes that is my 350 and I'm quite happy with the review. The reason I got in touch with him is that I do not believe there are any good realistic reviews of the SLK R171 out there except for the launch stuff from 5th Gear back in the day and when I first approached him 16 months ago, I thought if I were looking for info now, this would prove a useful tool. Lets be honest, if I had the cash I would be there for a £15k+ AMG 55, but I don't and many others dont either.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
453 Posts
I would like to point out that James also does acknowledge issues with his review's. I previewed this before Christmas and although the review itself is as I watched it, I pointed out that he had not clarified what he said he was going to do at the start of the video, that's a comparison of the 2. He has re edited this video and added some extra footage to correct this. I have no complaints so what I thought with my limited knowledge is below

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
453 Posts
So I believe its a honest review from the perspective of, I have not driven a 55, but I have driven said Z4 Coupe and I also own a E-Class 2008 320CDI sport
The interior is poor. The leather is terrible compared to the leather quality in my E-Class. The plastics are a poor quality compared to my E-Class but he does point out that, although scratched, that the interior is well built. They are just better (whether this changed during a facelift of the E-Class, I can only compare with what I know).
The gearbox is not brilliant unless you have Frogfoot's manual (lucky man). Good but not great. I only use the manual adjustment for it I want to hear and hold a gear but as said in the video, when you're in a groove going down a twisty it's good. They are not trying to be a Boxter.
He likes the sound, happy with the pull and power for the v6
Happy with the steering, happy with the brakes and likes the fabric wind deflector for what it does.
The repair and servicing prices he quotes are all from my local garage as I took everything down for him to look over.
The shake is noticeable compared the the Z4.
The rust is totally honest, I saw so many bad ones before I brought mine.
He corrects the roof rattling, but makes quite a bold statement that using the roof over a uneven road may cause it to change alignment slightly (not sure about that)
He says he initially does like the wild beastie of the 55.
He acknowledges the airscarf and that he has not realised how they are adjustable. Having seen the SLK/SL reviews he has done, I pointed this out.
He ends basically saying get the 55 if you can for the sound and for it being quite so different in the segment.
Overall, I take it that this is a good choice for some, better all-round to live with and there are plenty of people who use these as daily's and not just the weekend cars we treasure.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
10 Posts
Hi all. Yes that is my 350 and I'm quite happy with the review. The reason I got in touch with him is that I do not believe there are any good realistic reviews of the SLK R171 out there except for the launch stuff from 5th Gear back in the day and when I first approached him 16 months ago, I thought if I were looking for info now, this would prove a useful tool. Lets be honest, if I had the cash I would be there for a £15k+ AMG 55, but I don't and many others dont either.
Well said and fair play to your last point, not many would admit to that. Ultimately, when searching for a car you want a well balanced review. Reviews that are heavily sugar-coated do not give the feeling of honesty. Short comings of a car could be more frustrating and often a deal breaker for some. The 55's ride, handling and general low NVH is just about acceptable to me but potentially a no-deal to the next. In the end when researching a car you will (or at least should) always do a test drive yourself, but in the initial search a review like James' is very welcome.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350 "Adamantine"
235 Posts
Personally think it was a pretty honest assessment of a 15ish year old car. He could have been talking about my 2005 350, it was worth the money I paid and it was what I wanted. I supposed if I sold it I'd get my money back at the end of my ownership and hasn't cost much in parts.
Big credit to Davyd for letting somebody critic his car, that takes c.o.jones!

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
453 Posts
Exactly 👍

Review a Dog of a unserviced, Un kept, aged , Un Greased , Poor AMG 55 the Review will Reflect back a Dog of a unserviced poor SLK AMG 55 Simples

( or Any Car Review )
Keep in mind this is a review primarily of my 350. Initially he was going to use this in the Boxter alternative's group of videos, but decided to compare the 55 as the primary focus.
To be honest, I would be expecting it to be petrol heads watching his channel, so they are the people offering their cars, and therefore I would expect them all to have been maintained reasonably well....
Unless they brought it 2 months before hand and then found it was a POS.
Mine has 12 stamps in the 14 year book. Only basic matainence but I keep it as tidy as I can.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK55 AMG
176 Posts
He also reviewed the R172 55. He started laughing when the scuttle shake was so bad the camera started moving in that review. My car was tested on the same road I believe.
It was our 172 he reviewed and it was not scuttle shake that caused the camera to fall off.
It was vibration caused by poor old tyres which has now been rectified by fitting new tyres of a different make all round. Totally transformed the ride. The new tyres made so much difference that my wife thought I had fitted new suspension! I have spoken with James about doing another vid with our car again and maybe a comparison with our Z4 and Boxster.
P.S Yes they do have scuttle shake but it’s not that bad.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
453 Posts
It was our 172 he reviewed and it was not scuttle shake that caused the camera to fall off.
It was vibration caused by poor old tyres which has now been rectified by fitting new tyres of a different make all round. Totally transformed the ride. The new tyres made so much difference that my wife thought I had fitted new suspension! I have spoken with James about doing another vid with our car again and maybe a comparison with our Z4 and Boxster.
P.S Yes they do have scuttle shake but it’s not that bad.
Well that's good to hear. Still was a good video to watch with that 😄

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
3,856 Posts
Seen the vid 🙂 and enjoyed it

few things from my point of view , you cannot compare a 55 to a 350 as fantastic as both are they are just too different in far too many ways.

been out with Davyd many times and his car is in great condition and sounds nothing like the youtube clip not sure why thats happened.

as for rattles , scratches , rust ect ... well the 171 is getting on now and am sure same year z4 , boxer will just be the same.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
453 Posts
Seen the vid 🙂 and enjoyed it

few things from my point of view , you cannot compare a 55 to a 350 as fantastic as both are they are just too different in far too many ways.

been out with Davyd many times and his car is in great condition and sounds nothing like the youtube clip not sure why thats happened.

as for rattles , scratches , rust ect ... well the 171 is getting on now and am sure same year z4 , boxer will just be the same.
That's quite a perspective because to me it sounds on the clip just the same as what I have recorded myself and from inside the cabin. Just shows, I don't really hear it from outside and I keep thinking I could do with it a bit louder.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
3,856 Posts
That's quite a perspective because to me it sounds on the clip just the same as what I have recorded myself and from inside the cabin. Just shows, I don't really hear it from outside and I keep thinking I could do with it a bit louder.
i had same with mine mate until i did a car swap with a mate and followed my car... sounded a lot better than being in it.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,779 Posts
Same with Deb's 350.
It has a pleasant, but quiet exhaust note. As for 350 vs 55? Either will make you happy, but I get to drive both regularly and would happily pick 55 keys first.
Deb, however, prefers the 350 (other than a quiet exhaust). Fitting race cats on the front end will make it more rorty with out shouting 'TICKET ME!' to all and sundry.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts