1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking of an alternative to new rims, but being able to change the existing oem's to match my black esthetic. Just thinking and wishing ahead for spring.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,519 Posts
I figured something was up, just can't stop can you! Glossy Red to match your car, do it!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
If this is something that one does rarely, it may come out more cost-effective to have a tire/tyre shop with the proper lifts to do the work. The new rim and tire combination may ned to be spin balanced anyways.

If you will be doing this every 3-4 months, then the cost of the 4 jack stand and a good quality low-profile floor jack may be in order.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,519 Posts
Chickie would just lay down and die if that happened as much as she's got invested in Bella!

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,479 Posts
No that's not true. Chickie would go and hunt them down and rip their throats out!

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chickie would just lay down and die if that happened as much as she's got invested in Bella!
Replace "and if anyone, anyone tries to hurt one of my new friends"

with: "...tried to hurt my bella..."

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a lift we can put it on. You can also jack it up by the jacking points, they should be mention in the owners manual. However if you look at the car, there should be 4 jacking pads directly under the caps on your rocker panels.

What would be the safest and most inexpensive way to jack up the 170 to remove all 4 tires at the same time?

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,733 Posts
I go to the indy that does work on all our cars. When they lift the car to do the wheels/tires we all inspect underneath for anything out of sorts!

·
Banned
974 Posts
Sometimes the slower way is safer if you're going go down the DIY route.
My Merc. will be the third car for which I have treated myself to a second set of wheels/tyres for reasons of securing a softer ride on the smaller diameter wheels and just for a change of look.
I change each wheel one at a time. Using the supplied jack I take some of the weight off the wheel, ease off the securing bolts then raise completely off the ground. Then place an axle stand under the suspension knuckle where it meets the chassis and then VERY slightly lower the jack so that the weight of the car is about equally spread between axle stand and jack. Without placing my head under the wheel arch each wheel is changed. You get into a rhythm and it doesn't take long, providing you are not interrupted which means you might forget to secure a wheel bolt properly.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can use four inexpensive jackstands and a regular floor jack.
Yup, that's what I do. Make sure you're on a perfectly level surface. Use one jack point at a time to lift one side of the car just high enough to place a jack stand so the opposite wheel on that side is off the ground just enough to remove the tire. Repeat 3 times. Chock the wheel diagonally opposite the wheel you're lifting with the jack each time until you get 3 wheels lifted (i.e. no wheel left to chock). I have a 6,000 lb hydraulic floor jack that makes it quick and easy.

In fact I'm going to do this myself this winter. The SLK is tucked in for the winter and it needs new tires in the spring. So......what better time to pull the wheels off and take them to a shop for reconditioning and either powder coating or painting them? I'll get the done and then mount a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the car will ready to go in April. The goal with the wheels is to change the color to hide brake dust a little better.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In March i'll have the odds and ends done that I need on the inside, and this gives me a lot of time to get powdercoat quotes on the wheels. It will be a lot cheaper than new rims [hate the oem silver I have now].

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correction.. powder coating is NOT cheaper than new rims. It's about the same cost. Looks like a new solution is in order. Stay tuned.. dun dun duuuuuhhhhh lol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.