Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Getting wheels refurbished.
How do I jack up the car, with the intention of using axle stands?

Do I use the standard (mercedes) car jack.
Or can I use trolley jack.

Where can I put the axle stands.

Note the car is a R171 - SLK AMG 55 - 2005

Do I need to deactivate the alarm (tow away protection).
Believe that is switch next to hand brake.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
If you look under the car, you'll see four 'solid' points, one at each end of either sill. These are where you would put the pads for a two post lift. Jack the car up, and place the axle stands under each of those. I'd use a thin plywood pad on each stand, just to protect it.

If your trolley jack has a low enough nose, I would jack under the diff to raise the rear, and find a solid point on the front suspension to raise the front.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,722 Posts
Hi nike5

I have to use both jacks the oem one to jack the body up(using jacking points) then the trolley jack to get under & get the wheels off the ground , i put the axle stands under the suspension pivot points . the tow away alarm is not a problem as the car will not be locked (well its was not for me) .

Cheers

Andy

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
Owner's manual shows the jackup points

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jacking up and putting on stands

Nike5

1. There are 2 central jacking points. one on the front axle and the other on the flat part of the Diff housing.( see pic for front)
2. You will either need a low racing jack to get under the car or drive it onto a couple a low planks to give some clearance for a larger trolley jack
3. The jacking points are on the side and consist of plastic type supports which are easily damaged.
4. To get around this I made a couple of hard wood inserts which were attached to axle stands with a dowel.(see pic)
5. You must be careful that the stands do not foul the skirt as they overhang particularly on models with low side skirts

hope this helps

John

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Me Too...

Hi Kevin:
Thanks for asking. I just came in from the garage to ask the same question. LOL

Woolly and John:
Thanks for the answers. John the pictures were very useful, I appreciate your taking the time to Post them.

Just bought new tires and a friend with a repair shop will be mounting/balancing them for me. So I'll be pulling both rears, then both fronts off at a time - that will also give me an opportunity to really clean the back side of the wheels as well.

I'll also be inspecting the brake pads, rotors and looking at the condition of the brake lines. {99 SLK230}.

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
485 Posts
Also I need to get all wheels off for a refurb. After reading a lot about jacking up a 55 AMG, I have decided to try 4 of these @ 20 USD a piece. One on each jacking positions by the wheels. Will rise all 4 at the same time in small steps. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
1,901 Posts
Also I need to get all wheels off for a refurb. After reading a lot about jacking up a 55 AMG, I have decided to try 4 of these @ 20 USD a piece. One on each jacking positions by the wheels. Will rise all 4 at the same time in small steps. Any thoughts?
I'd still want to use axle stands after jacking up. Stability on four jacks is going to be seriously compromised I would have thought.

·
485 Posts
I'd still want to use axle stands after jacking up. Stability on four jacks is going to be seriously compromised I would have thought.
Agree on that, so I will build a ramp with concrete blocks with a plank of wood on top (each side - see principle on encl. pic). Then lower the car so the weight is distributed evenly between planks and jacks. Hope it will work for the 3 weeks needed for the refurb.

Attachments

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,966 Posts
They hold 1,5 metric tonnes each.

Regardless of it holds 1.5 tonnes each ....

We are talking your safety !
What price do you put on that ?

Go the safety route. Decent Trolley Jack and stands

I would not like to be underneath a SLK when them unsafe MB jack give .

Its your life you got to think of .

·
485 Posts
Regardless of it holds 1.5 tonnes each ....

We are talking your safety !
What price do you put on that ?

Go the safety route. Decent Trolley Jack and stands

I would not like to be underneath a SLK when them unsafe MB jack give .

Its your life you got to think of .
I will keep it mind, thank you, but the idea is of course not to go under the car. I am just taking off the wheels to get them refurbished.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,966 Posts
I will keep it mind, thank you, but the idea is of course not to go under the car. I am just taking off the wheels to get them refurbished.
They are just a little unsafe in my books .
And remember they can do expensive damage to your car’s body work and door sills it they slip off while you are jacking it up .

You may not go under the car but it still can disslodge and crush you in a way .

·
485 Posts
They are just a little unsafe in my books .
And remember they can do expensive damage to your car’s body work and door sills it they slip off while you are jacking it up .

You may not go under the car but it still can disslodge and crush you in a way .
Thank you for your thoughts and concern. I will see what I do in the end. To me it seemed a little bit complicated with ramps, low profile trolley jacks, lifting adaper for the rear axle, axle stands.....:wink:

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,966 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts and concern. I will see what I do in the end. To me it seemed a little bit complicated with ramps, low profile trolley jacks, lifting adaper for the rear axle, axle stands.....:wink:
There are other ways of Jacking up the car with a decent Trolley jack etc

·
485 Posts
There are other ways of Jacking up the car with a decent Trolley jack etc
With an AMG you need a very special trolley jack, the one I have doesen´t fit because of the heigth on the body of the jack. I found one that will fit @ 350 USD. Or I could buy/make 4 ramps.....

Also, lifting on the rear axle on an AMG will need an "adapter" - or you risk cracking the cooling fins.

(I have read all treads on this issue on this Forum - and many others.)

That´s why I considered my alternative.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.