Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

The time has come to store my R170 for the winter. With my previous car ( convertible Mustang ) I had replaced the summer tires and wheels with winter tires and steel wheels so as not to develope flat spots on my good summer wheels while she slept for the winter months. With my SLK230 I would like to remove the tires/wheels although for the winter. Can I sit her on four jack stands without developing any issues for the next 5 months or is there a better way?

As always
Thank you for your time.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
100,658 Posts

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,272 Posts
Leave the wheels on the car. Unsprung weight may/will cause issues.

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
31 Posts
leave tires on, fill them up to max pressure. Don put car on stands. Ideally you should start and move the car every month or so, so seals don't dry and tires are not sitting in the same spot

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,272 Posts
AND do not start/stop as said. If you do start it, you have to have a good highway run (20-30 minutes) to burn out all the moisture that is created.

Just stabil (some do, some don't) a full tank, plug the holes (like steel wool up the exhaust), dryer sheets if you like (in the trunk, cabin and COLD engine), some kind of trickle charger (Ctek or Battery Tender) and mothballs around the perimeter if in a garage (my regimen). I go so far as getting some old carpet squares under each tire (parked on concrete).

Can't say any of that helps but I've had no issues over-wintering for 4 years now doing it this way--no hard starts n the spring, no mice, no flat spots on the tires.

BTW, if you're running summer tires forget about the winter runs in their entirety. Not good for summers when its <7o C.

Reactions: Dave2302 and DavidD

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,704 Posts
If you do not plan on starting the car and let it idle at least once I month remove the battery store it in a warm garage. Of Course you could always move to Arizona and not deal with the hassle. We got room for one more snowbird. 😁 😁 I am with the gang leave the tires on also it can not hurt to put some Gummi Pflege or something close to it on the seals to keep them soft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts