Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought an IWC clock to fit to my non clock equipped 250cdi. I have the clock, the wiring loom, and the new cowl with the parktronic mount. The physical fitting of the clock is very straightforward but I'm at a loss as to where the wire plugs in and if the clock needs coded to my car. All the components are brand new. Can anyone give me any info on this mod?

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that but I have already been on that page.

That is the bit I don't have any issues with, ie "The physical fitting of the clock is very straightforward" it is the second part of my post that is giving me trouble, "I'm at a loss as to where the wire plugs in and if the clock needs coded to my car".

I can't seem to find any info on this.

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
There should be more than just pos/neg wires on it since the timing iteself is regulated by the head unit. I'll have to dig into the wiring schema's to see if the wires go all to the HU or that is has its own plug on a larger loom somewhere. If the latter than you may have a problem since MB doesn't supply wiring cables with 'all' plugs connected to it anymore. The R171 is that way, but no so on the R172. This would make the pluging in impossible so either very expensive (replace wiring harness in the dash) or very DIY.

I'll have a look tonight.

·
1,384 Posts
A little later than expected ... Sorry for that. Sometimes life gets in the way.

The analog clock (Option 246) is coded as A70/1 in the wiring schemes. It is connected through a lint cable designated LIN1 which is said to come from the instrument cluster or the front SAM

For the life of me I can't get any closer. So interrogating the front SAM or the instrument panel (or cluster) it doesn't show up where the LIN1 is going in. But is does confirm that there is only one plug for all functions and that it is a direct plug in into the rear of the instrument panel (my estimate) or the front SAM. I've taken the front SAM out regurarly and I haven't detected a LIN cable on there. But I wasn't looking for one either. The length of the cable may also give away where it should be going.

I do have the analog clock so it must have that LIN1 cable. My advice: take out the instrument panel to see if there is an open connector that will have your LIN clock cable. From the R171 rememberance the instrument panel was a breeze to take out. Never done it on my R172 though.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help.

I have now opened the bag the cable was in and here are some of the details. There are three wires that are on a plug at one end, this plug fits the back of the clock (so far so good!) the three colours of the wires are black, brown, and purple. The black goes to a large orange coloured plug, the brown has a stripped section 15mm from the end and the purple ends with a cut. The harness from start to finish is approximately seven yards long! so I'm thinking it must go all the way back to the boot area?

I'm thinking ( tho' probably wrong!) that the brown is a live feed, purple the earth return and the black wire the signal?

I have attached pics of the cable and cover to let you see what I mean.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
1,384 Posts
Now we are talking! What is the pin number on the brown plug the black wire is attached to?
The pin numbers are on the outer positions. So if it's a 12 wire plug you will see 1, 6, 7 and 12 inprinted on the plug.
These plugs go to a SAM either front or rear. This cable is nothing like a lint cable.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The black wire goes into pin location 1, and the plug has 14 positions. Given the cable is near 7 metres long I'd suspect it will be a run to the rear SAM.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
1,384 Posts
OK, I found it. Including this famous LIN-1 cable. Here is the story read it till the end before starting:

The black wire goes to plug 11 C on pin 1 on the front SAM. If your car is between 06/12 and 05/13 AND you have Auto lane detection there is already a wire in that position: Red/Black. Your black wire needs to tap into that one. This provides power. If the slot is empty you can dislodge the pin from the (brown) plug you got and reuse it on plug 11 C.

The violet wire goes to Z68/10 that is a code for a small clear plastic tube in the wiring harness where a number of wires are crimped together. Z68/10 is located in the dash between the front window and the passenger airbag on LHD vehicles. I'm unsure what this means for RHD vehicles. However, the 'master' violet wire goes from Z68/10 to plug 17 C pin 1 on the front SAM. I assume it will be easier to merge yours there.

The brown wire goes to Z68/1 (same story as with Z68/10). It is located in the middle of the dash under the HU and above the gear tunnel. From there it goes to W12 which is a grounding point. Ergo, you can attach your brown wire to any grounding point you find suitable (which excludes the battery!).

The length of the wires is by no means a guarantee all is needed. I clipped mine to suit me just fine.

Now for the cherry, Where are 11C and 17C on the front SAM? If you take out the front SAM (4 bolts that just need loosening, the plastic tubing they are housed in will keep them on the SAM even if you turn it upside down unless you break that tubing [I did], and unclipping the plug in the middle engine side. You slide it to the front of the car and upwards in the same tempo. The wires are long enough. Now you can turn the whole SAM on its side and see all the colored plugs on the bottom. Attached is a picture from my SAM.

11C is on the front edge between the grey and green plug. I don't think it's brown, looks more orange to me.
17C is on the part of the SAM that is sticking out of the bottom which has six smaller plugs on it. The one on the opposite (length wise) from 11C is 17C and it is cassis colored. There is a brown one right next to it (the other side is the edge of the SAM unit).

You may want to consider to take the positive of your battery before messing with the SAM.

Attachments

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First off, thanks very much for the obvious efforts you have put in to help me, it is much appreciated.

Now, on to the job in hand.

The task seems like a bit of a mission just for a fancy clock, but as I teach motor vehicle studies in the local college I am very familiar with the electrical workings of a car.

My SLK was first registered on 31/01/13 but it does not have auto lane detection so there should not be any wires in position 1 on plug 11C (I'm assuming the orange plug on the new wiring is a plug 11C too) it is an easy job to dislodge the pin and relocate it on the 11 C that is currently fitted in the car. That should sort out the power feed.

If I have read your instructions correctly I then join the purple(violet) wire to pin 1 plug 17 C (cassis coloured, is that a grey/purple colour?) on the front SAM and that is my signal/master wire sorted. Is this a new pin plug in or a splice into the wire already there?

Again, If I have read your instructions correctly, I then fix the brown wire to a common earth point and that gives me the earth return.

Am I right in thinking you also say that I can avoid the front sam for a power feed and take a 12v supply from a permanent live somewhere rather than using pin 1 on plug 11C? That sounds like an option but if I am in there anyway I'll probably just go through the sam. Do you think the clock will need coded? I'm hoping not but knowing MB . . .

One last thing, where is the location of the front sam? Is it under the fuse box beside the engine or in the cabin?

·
1,384 Posts
First off, thanks very much for the obvious efforts you have put in to help me, it is much appreciated.
That's why we are here ...

Now, on to the job in hand.

The task seems like a bit of a mission just for a fancy clock, but as I teach motor vehicle studies in the local college I am very familiar with the electrical workings of a car.

My SLK was first registered on 31/01/13 but it does not have auto lane detection so there should not be any wires in position 1 on plug 11C (I'm assuming the orange plug on the new wiring is a plug 11C too) it is an easy job to dislodge the pin and relocate it on the 11 C that is currently fitted in the car. That should sort out the power feed.

If I have read your instructions correctly I then join the purple(violet) wire to pin 1 plug 17 C (cassis coloured, is that a grey/purple colour?) on the front SAM and that is my signal/master wire sorted. Is this a new pin plug in or a splice into the wire already there?
It's the one that is just missing on the left of the picture, you can just see a glimpse of it on the left sidde next to the brown. The pin should already be occupied. The Z68 is MB's way of splicing, so you can do your own, just make sure it's weather tight.

Again, If I have read your instructions correctly, I then fix the brown wire to a common earth point and that gives me the earth return.

Am I right in thinking you also say that I can avoid the front sam for a power feed and take a 12v supply from a permanent live somewhere rather than using pin 1 on plug 11C? That sounds like an option but if I am in there anyway I'll probably just go through the sam. Do you think the clock will need coded? I'm hoping not but knowing MB . . .
Sure you can take any positive wire, just make sure it's always on. Allthough the clock would reset itself to the appropriate time according to whatever the head unit will tell it.
The only coding that MAY be involved would be in the head unit (through the engineering menu). But I strongly doubt it. It just echos the time in the HU through the violet.

One last thing, where is the location of the front sam? Is it under the fuse box beside the engine or in the cabin?
Minor detail eh? It's the fuse box at the left hinge of the hood. SAM = Signal and Actuation Module.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front SAM removal

Just started to fit the new clock. I'm having trouble getting the sam module out of the car. I have removed the four torx and tried to lift it up but no way it will clear the bottom windscreen panel. I then removed the wipers and all the clips that hold the panel in but it (the panel) won't come out! It just slides from side to side and will not release. I don't want to force it. Has anyone any ideas on how to get the sam out or how to remove this panel?

Cheers

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow - I hated not having a proper clock in mine but not that much !!! :grin:
Not just a clock, it's an IWC clock! :smile:

Anyhoo, the job is done and I am delighted with the result. A huge thank you to Judge Ming without his help I would not have been able to fit it in a million years! Cheers Mate.

Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
1,384 Posts
The SAM will lift out without removing any other stuff than its lid (needs to be completely removed) and unclip one plug on the top. You lift the front upwards, making the rear closest to the window dip lower. The bottom of the SAM has a pointy shape which is needed to slide along the front ridge. A minimum of left-right wiggling may be needed but that's it.

·
Premium Member 2011 SLK250
589 Posts
Thanks for yet another great guide! Another option added to the car! :)

P.S. Are there lights in the clock that are supposed to turn on, along with the dash, when there is no light outside? Otherwise, the time is unreadable on the clock during the night.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
97 Posts
Thanks for yet another great guide! Another option added to the car! :)

P.S. Are there lights in the clock that are supposed to turn on, along with the dash, when there is no light outside? Otherwise, the time is unreadable on the clock during the night.
With my factory fitted analogue clock, the lights in the clock come on with the rest of the interior lighting.

·
Premium Member 2011 SLK250
589 Posts
With my factory fitted analogue clock, the lights in the clock come on with the rest of the interior lighting.
Pfff... Thanks for the answer. Mine is broken then :(

Oh well it cost me 50 Euros for the clock + grill so can't complain

At least it shows the time during the day :)

Edit:
Is yours an IWC? Or standard? Mine's a standard, maybe those don't have backlight...?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts