Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently retiring as a scaffolder in the UK's offshore industry, I decided to take a new direction, enrolling for evening classes in theatre studies at Strathclyde University in Glasgow. :smile: This is my first ever try at a monologue, and was self recorded after only 4 classes (10 hours in total). As I struggle to remember my own name half the time, I found this particularly daunting. :surprise:

It's my own interpretation of the speech Quint gives, on the sinking of the USS Indianapolis, from the film Jaws. It's always been a favourite film of mine, and I love Robert Shaw's performance in it. Spielberg's version wasn't that far from the truth. Although the vessel didn't actually deliver an actual Atomic bomb, it had delivered some critical parts, and more men probably died from drinking seawater and dehydration whilst they awaited rescue than got killed by sharks, but theirs was still an horrific story, and I have total respect for those men that served on her. :|

Anyway, I obviously have a long road to travel, and much to learn, but, as with all journeys, you have to start somewhere and I hope this is the beginning of one for me. If nothing else comes of it, my lecturer has already told me she can see me getting offered certain types of roles (I think she meant man with long beard parts :grin:), and that I should have no problem getting work as a background artist (an extra):smile:

This will be such a let down after that build up as it was only an exercise, and, given a bit more time, I know I could have done a better job, but I thought I'd post it as some members had already heard I was back at school and had asked me about what I was doing.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,705 Posts
So...
You like films, boats, the sea and have worked offshore.
Not to mention living in Scotland.

If only they hadn't finished the 'Whisky Galore' remake in 2016 :tu:

You're a braver man than I, Davie.

Hope you get your dreams fulfilled (and a boat full of Jamesons ;) )

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,449 Posts
I decided to take a new direction, enrolling for evening classes in theatre studies at Strathclyde University in Glasgow.
Congrats on the new adventure but what happen just going to the Pub in the evening?? Well with all the new Techno Stuff you could have a couple of pints do some dancing with them other Baby Boomers and still be a good student.....:laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,199 Posts
Good stuff. Lorraine really liked your monologue (she's Scottish-heritage but doesn't have the accent but she adores listening to it).

Reactions: DAVIETHESCAFF

·
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must be learning something on this course. :wink: Just back from my first day on a film set. Got a part as an extra in a short film starring Daniella Nardini. Ended up getting picked out of seventy extras to be one of three that had an active role in the film. A great experience. :smile:

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,945 Posts
Davie, sounds like your retirement is off to a successful start :tu:! I'm so happy for you:smile::x:bannana::Beer:Y)

Congratulations! xo

·
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well done Davie :tu:
When you say 'active', what were you required to do?
I'm not talking "Die Hard" active here :grin:, but, with out giving too much away, I was involved in a funeral scene at the end of the film. At the climax of the scene I had to leave my seat and stand beside the main characters, meaning I get quite a lot of on screen time rather than just sitting in the background. :smile: Due to the scene having to be shot from various angles and multiple takes I was up and down like a Yo-Yo. :D

It was fascinating to see how much effort and time that goes into getting the actual finished product just right. Also interesting to see what all the various positions that you see in the credits do, eg. grip, best boy, etc.. I was also impressed by the fact that the camera operator had to hand hold a 17/18 kg camera on her shoulder whilst moving about for a lot of shots. :surprise:

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230
133 Posts
A number of years ago I ended up as an extra in a film.

A friend was taking part in the film so I went over to watch.
One of the production people saw me and said "Are you here to take Alan's place?"
"Err....no...just to watch."
"Alan's not here, your the same build as him, no speaking required, interested?"
"Yes"
So trotted off to get dressed up and meet the guy who was working alongside "Alan".
Anyway, once sorted out, headed on to the set and was handed the reins to a horse !! Turns out "Alan" was a horse expert, the type that can get a horse to do a handbrake turn....thankful all the fancy work had been done earlier in the week and I just had to walk alongside the horse......thank ****...
Even got paid for the day's work..

Gareth

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,541 Posts
What a wonderful life you have ahead of you, Davie. Life do begin at retirement as Myk said... The monologue was excellent, for a "newbie" and even in my untrained eyes and ears, you do have the knack for this new path... and already you are finding success, so you are indeed on the right path. Good luck and keep us abreast of your "new line of work". Wishing you and yours a very Merry Xmas and Happy New year ahead...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts