Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..

I fixed the brake switch issue, then I get the seat relay fixed..and the new headlights in. I FINALLY get to take the girl out on a gorgeous 70 degree night drive the other day and what do I see? The middle bulb on the instrument panel has gone out.

Now you KNOW I used every curse word I could think of. Big deal? not really. Inconvenient? always. Could I change it out? I would change them all out of course if i decided to dive into the instrument panel. I even found a killer DIY instructional pdf [with pictures and all lol] here on our lovely forum. My question to the DIY'ers is.. is it just time consuming or is it tricky getting that sucker back on? Should I attempt it? I am smelling the need for patience here a mile away.

OR.. should I just wait.. that would be the easy answer yes?

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you could always get it fixed October 11, might be a long drive though!
I may as well fess up to the October 11th thing.. I rented a 172.. Bella stays in the garage and mom gets to go out and play with the big boys!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
If you are into the DIY stuff, it will be a good weekend project.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am beginning to think that she purposely sabotages herself, JUST to be talked about. These cars have a mind of their own, truly. I'm a diy'er when I'm forced to do so. But I have a very hard time justifying $100 an hour to take some screws off of panels just because its time consuming. Thanks for the post :)

Keep em coming.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I am beginning to think that she purposely sabotages herself, JUST to be talked about. These cars have a mind of their own, truly. I'm a diy'er when I'm forced to do so. But I have a very hard time justifying $100 an hour to take some screws off of panels just because its time consuming. Thanks for the post :)

Keep em coming.
I'd say don't panic chicky =) Just wait till another burns out.
It isn't a hard DIY. Just time consuming and another aspect is that plastic gets fragile over the years and you might crack some hinges/plastic inserts. Mine mostly cracked in areas where bolts are located... Spent lots of time with crazy glue putting it back together so I can screw it back in not applying too much torques on bolts... :D
Besides you gotta mess in your "lovely" under the wheel area :biglaugh:.
It's not expensive, but just time consuming. I was quoted $150 for a bulb change =) Was my 1st DIY, Spent like good 45 minutes getting the dash apart and figuring out what goes where :D Two T-10 bulbs were around $4 at my local parts store and another hour or so trying to get everything back in place =)
Edit:
Here's Ebay link for bulbs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-instrument-cluster-dash-light-bulb-with-beige-base-12v-1-5w-SET-OF-12-/370701235446?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564f83f4f6&vxp=mtr
and you will also need 2 bulbs of W5W type (otherwise knows as T-10)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Box-10-Benz-194-Clear-Wedge-Instrument-Panel-Side-Marker-Light-Bulbs-Lamp-NOS-/370724020958?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5650dfa2de&vxp=mtr

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,961 Posts
I may as well fess up to the October 11th thing.. I rented a 172.. Bella stays in the garage and mom gets to go out and play with the big boys!
Noooooo, why did you tell them? :(:(:(

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures which might help some. I decided to replace all the bulbs while i had the cluster out and went with red bulbs to match the car. These pictures are not in any kind or order.

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures which might help some. I decided to replace all the bulbs while i had the cluster out and went with red bulbs to match the car. These pictures are not in any kind or order.
Does one have to remove the steering wheel in order to disassemble the instrument cluster panel in the R170?

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,961 Posts
Chicky, I don't want to come across as a Debbie downer but after seeing lfod's pics are you still thinking of attempting it? If you are, you're crazier and braver than I thought!

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I have to agree with Marykay, Chicky that looks like a lot of work for someone that took her car to the shop to get the head lights put in. I have one of my dash lights out and I not going to even attempt it until all my lights go out and then I might just drive the car during the day. :Beer:

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,468 Posts
Chicky check under the Bed!!!!! Gremlims love to hide under the Bed and bowl with Light Bulbs ........ they sneak out while you are in the Shower steel them Bulbs from the R 170 bowl a couple of Rounds ........ and put them back in when you are asleep........ No wonder you have Head Light Problems.......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.