Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 months ago I was being considered for a position in Germany with AFNE (Armed Forces Network Europe). Its the TV and radio broadcasting division for overseas U.S. personnel. :usa:

I recieved my "official" offer for employment this morning!! I subsequently accepted the offer, now I'm just waiting on travel orders.

My wife and I are stoked!!! We've been wanting to return to Europe since leaving in 2003, but wanted to wait for her to retire from active duty (22 1/2 yrs.)

I'll basically be making sure signals come in and leave AFN HQ without any hangups.

We'll be shipping the SLK along with the Vue...can't wait to get her on the autobahn...the SLK that is. ;) I have snow tires arriving this week. That's why I had commented on the snow tires thread. The guy at Discount Tire thought I was off my rocker when I inquired about snow tires in Las Vegas..lol.

Hopefully we'll be heading that direction around the middle of December.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS KEVIN! :tu: Great News! I hope we get to see you on December 9th before you go to Germany.

D

·
0 Posts
Congratulations mate.

Glad to hear the SLK is coming along with you wait until you see the German idea of a dealership mate its something else so much more pride taken in them.

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

I know you really wanted that!

Wahoooooo!

Watch out Autobahn!!! DesignoSLK is on his way!!!!:usa:

SLKman:tu:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu: Back to der fatherland. I'm glad things worked out for you. I spend five years outside of Madrid, Torrejon AB, Spain back in the 70s (72-77) when I was in the Air Force. I remember those AFN (Armed Forces Network) days. Mostly radio and the last several years, TV. There was one AFN TV channel. Only on base. I remember watching tape delayed NFL football games. It was better than nothing. Hard to believe next summer will mark our 30th year back. Our five years overseas was a wonderful life experience.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
will you have to get the computer un restricted? how will the safety laws and such affect your car? Just curious to see if you have to do anything to it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
all cars in europe still come restricted. 155mph is the limit for most german cars.
that sounds great congrats designo!!! its only parts of the autobahn are derestricted. also the roads are porous so no spray comes of them when wet, and the water is stored in massive reservoirs to be re-used. those germans eh.
also you get advantage of having the south of spain and sweden only being a days drive ro so away. :)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The car can be un restricted, there is no change to the power output. It's just that the MB warranty will be void concerning engine and driving trains.

The restriction is just a gentlemen agreement between Mercedes Benz and BMW.

See you soon :tu:

N4PWJ it isn't true that all cars are restricted.... far from that. Some non MB or BMW makers are restricting their models to do as the original ones (MB& BMW) but it's just a marketing thing. Tell a Porsche or a Ferrari owner that he's restricted and he'll die laughing...

Also porous roads aren't the norm... though nice when it's raining, the are very dangerous when it's freezing.

From most of Germany, south of Spain is more than a day drive...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
i said a days drive OR SO. lol.
never thought about that on a freezing day, the slight moisture would turn to ice, making it lethal.
i know porsches aren't restricted, wasn't sure abuot car manufacturers tho.
still - good beer in germany!

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Congrats Designo, Germany is a beautiful country, wish I had stayed longer for my euro delivered SLK. Post pics of your slk and the beautiful german countryside.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i wanna go back! i used to live in northern italy when I was a kid. One day my dad and I were in germany, and he had a (at the time, 90 or 91) a brand new maserati on the unrestricted autobahn, and did 130. Looking back at it, that was quite an amazing feat for that car!

I wish the U.S. had some unrestricted areas. Studies have proven that there are less fatalities and accidents on the autobahn then there is on the US highways, per car. Gee i dunno i sure do pay a hell of a lot more attention when im doing 90-100 +!! No cellphones, no playing with the radio etc... i think that makes a huge difference. Rt80 which goes from NYC to cali should be unrestricted in less populated areas!:soap:

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will you have to get the computer un restricted? how will the safety laws and such affect your car? Just curious to see if you have to do anything to it.
I'm not sure about unrestriction stuff, but if it is restricted, you can bet I'll get it unrestricted. Finally have a reason to use these "V" rated tires...lol.

See you soon :tu:
I'm looking forward to it!!

...good beer in germany!
Yeah...my mind and tastebuds are looking forward to it...my gut isn't.

Post pics of your slk and the beautiful german countryside.
ABSOLUTLY!!

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wanna go back! i used to live in northern italy when I was a kid. One day my dad and I were in germany, and he had a (at the time, 90 or 91) a brand new maserati on the unrestricted autobahn, and did 130. Looking back at it, that was quite an amazing feat for that car!

I wish the U.S. had some unrestricted areas. Studies have proven that there are less fatalities and accidents on the autobahn then there is on the US highways, per car. Gee i dunno i sure do pay a hell of a lot more attention when im doing 90-100 +!! No cellphones, no playing with the radio etc... i think that makes a huge difference. Rt80 which goes from NYC to cali should be unrestricted in less populated areas!:soap:
One major reason there are less fatalities comparably is because they take their driving more seriously than we do here in the States. People here forget it's a privilege to drive, let alone own a car. Plus the fact that the majority of us (Americans) don't know how to exersise moderation so I doubt the fatality rates would decrease, they'd more likely increase.

Germans can't get their licenses until they're 18 and even then it cost roughly a few thousand dollars for training.

Just a very different culture. One I’m anxious to embrace again! :bannana: :bannana:

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I wouldn't trust American's with no speed limit, even when the sign clearing say, "Use left lane to pass" they hog the left lane going exactly the speed limit posted. When you tailgate them and or flash, they go even slower. Forcing you to pass on the right. No speed limit like the autobahn will mean suicide for fast drivers. We have more stupid drivers then we have good, it's not going to work.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
as usual, a few will have to die for the good of many! :) j/p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts