Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, bought myself a nice looking blue R170.

Which 12 miles in turned into a saga, all the symptoms of a blown head gasket, but because the car is mechanically sound the dealer agreed to fix.

Stripped the head down and its was full of white gunk, and corroded to hell - its a wonder it actually ran at all - and the water pipes were bodged, so clearly something had gone before.

So in with a new 65k engine, on with new grooved and dimpled discs and ebc pads all round and my little project was on the road.

Next up was off with the standard wheels and 18s, and away with the standard grille.

poor Slinky has a few issues, the heater only blows hot air and the fan control is upside down with only the last 2 settings actually working, the central locking doesnt work (at all, boot doesnt lock, and the pse looks like its off something else and has been rigged to sort of work, and only has 2 yellow pipes showing, the gearbox and the usual interior wear and then some (I get the feeling the last owner didnt care for her very well)

Attachments

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
I will rotate your pics

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi lifterleslie and welcome from Germany.

I'm jealous....remember the first flush of love very well. The love affair will intensify. Trust me ?

Glad she's got a nice, new and sympathetic owner now. Sounds like she's in the right place.

But watch it.....it's hard to know when to stop spoiling her ?

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,924 Posts
Hi, welcome from the North of Scotland. :smile:

Hope you get your problems sorted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I thought I was tripping but you seem to have seven spoke alloys on one side and five spoke AMG alloys on the drivers side.

:wink:

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
I think the pics are of before and after wheels

Next up was off with the standard wheels and 18s, and away with the standard grille.

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,225 Posts
Welcome from central Florida!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all - they are indeed before and after wheels - and they definitely are not AMG tho :)
I actually wanted to do something a little bit different from the usual stick a set from a different Mercedes or black with a polished lip approach and my friend has a blue civic with white wheels so I blatantly copied that, although had funds allowed I wanted red on my Audi A3 but bought a 530d instead. (this is my toy for me and the mrs)

So far the central locking is no working as I found the very non original pse pump wasnt even hooked up, it looks nothing like the one in any pics of a r170 but now it works off the held together with tape fob and the central locking works.
Interesting while having a look around I found a front screen wash switch and a front fog light setting while the bumper has none - I see a possible front end tap (cos I cant see and warping in the engine bay) - I may hpi it myself now as I'm beginning to think someone isnt being level about poor slinky's past.

First big of good weather and its time for a proper polish with the machine and a little touch up at a rust bubble on the roof, sand back, treat it and match it cos its very small

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The saga continues, decided to do my own hpi, and its a category D, which was not declared by the dealer - whoopsie.

Had the centre console out because the radio in it is so bad, nothing is better, and because the heater only blows hot air - found that it was held together by insulating tape and that the radio installer missed out fitting a cage by using tape, and didnt bother to buy a £10 adaptor lead but instead spliced on with screw block connectors instead and did it really short just for added dumbass appeal.

It also had some nice aux speaker leads and cd changer controller wire so more fun to be had while I wait for new heater control unit as I think the reason the knob was on on wrong is that the previous owner had a go at it when it failed.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,719 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

I hope that you got one hell of a deal on this SLK! If I was the old owner I probably would have paid you to take it off my hands! Good luck with the repairs, I wish the best for you and your SLK, have a lot of top down cruising!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.