Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating on what to do for a few months now and I've finally decided to pull the trigger. I'm going to be starting a Superlite SL-C build.. These cars are absolutely amazing and something that you get what you put into it. I could do a bare build for a track car and call it a day, but will likely spend just as much, if not more, time on the interior alone as the entire chassis setup will take me. I have been tossing around the idea of building a kit car for a while and had toyed with a Factory Five GTM, but the SL-C drew me away from it seeing as how it does not use donor parts (aside from the engine/transaxle) and has been designed from the ground up. It's less a kit car and more of a "build your own supercar"...just in a kit.

I'm heading this weekend to meet with a couple of SL-C owners to really check the cars out up close and to take test rides in. I've only seen one other one in the past and it was out at Autobahn Country Club over in Joliet, IL. Amazing vehicle, but I didn't get a chance to really pay it close attention because I was out there to drive..

Tentative plans will mate a LSx with a Ricardo transaxle and I plan on running heat/AC so the car will be "driveable" year round..though I can't see this thing getting out in the snow. A few other odds and ends will be changed from what the "base" car comes with but mostly focusing on fit and finish of the car..ie noise reduction, directing heat away from the cabin, and so fourth.

The downsides? I'm going to be looking at a long build.. A few of you know that I'm super busy pretty much all of the time, but this is one of those things that I've wanted to do ever since dad helped me rebuild my first 911. This car though I'm anticipating a two year or longer build time to get it to the point that I want it. The other bad thing.. I'm likely going to be putting the SLK up for sale sometime later this year once my chassis gets to my shop. I could keep the SLK and do the build at the same time, but it would take me significantly longer to get the SL-C together at that point. I figure sell the SLK to get rid of the payment and drive one of the other vehicles I already have until the SL-C is done.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
Sweet looking car. Why is everything you can find about this car on the net from 2010 though??!!

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I wish you the best Tibb.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking to keep my budget spread over 4 years under $80k, but the car will be driving before that. That will, hopefully, be my final budget.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet looking car. Why is everything you can find about this car on the net from 2010 though??!!
Well it's actually from a company named 'Superlite' but there has been plenty about the car since '10. They actually ran a "race" version of the car in '11 and it was blisteringly fast.. it set several lap records with less power than a lot of it's competitors.

I may have accidentally stumbled into a source for both a LS7 and a Ricardo transaxle locally..amazing how luck works out sometimes. :biglaugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.