Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning from the Philippines,

I have a 1999 SLK 230, great car, runs like a top, but just a couple things annoying me. Just for information, I am running the stock 17" AMG wheels staggered of course. I have replaced the front coil springs, shocks and all bushings to include the entire steering linkage from steering box.

First; I am trying to sort out a rattle I have in the dash that only occurs below 38 kph. I am guessing it is the speedo cable? But just wanted to verify with someone who might know these cars better than I do. Another issue is where to get a speedo cable if that is the problem.

Second: Wheel bearings, I have replaced the wheel bearings in the front wheels twice in two years, when I swap the bearing it is nice and quiet for a few months, then the noise returns (Like a loud humming while driving). I think they are somehow heating up and going bad, is this possible? Do I need to replace the whole hub assembly? It has be baffled.

Thanks allot for any help.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,065 Posts
There is no speedometer cable- it's electronic. Not sure about the wheel bearings but two months is crazy!

·
Registered
559 Posts
As for the first question, there isn't a short cut. Get someone to drive the car while you try to isolate the noise. Stethescopes can help with this. As for the second, that's really weird. The first time you replaced them, was it before or after you did all the front end work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the first question, there isn't a short cut. Get someone to drive the car while you try to isolate the noise. Stethescopes can help with this. As for the second, that's really weird. The first time you replaced them, was it before or after you did all the front end work?

I did it all at the same time. Bearings, springs, shocks and bushings

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,180 Posts
The first time I let the shop here source the bearings in Manila.

Second time I ordered from pelicanparts.com

JD

What make were the parts?
Were they made by different manufacturers?

I'm wondering if there may be a bad batch of parts out there.

A different part, but we have noticed that a spark plug make appears to have had a bad batch.
Maybe this is a similar problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found the rattle

It turns out that the rattle in the dash was a screw missing. At some point someone (previous owner) took apart the dash and thought it was ok to no install all the screws. After taking everything apart, I found that it was the small clips making the rattle noise behind the dash below 38 kph. I put everything back together with all the screws in place, test drive proved, no rattle. It was a damn screw missing. I would have never thought that one.

JD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.