Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to remove the driver's side door panel to access the window control unit. So I've followed the instructions on how to do this (from the helpful posts on this site) but my car seems to have a slightly different setup. Under the armrest there is a very small flap in the panel and I can feel a screw in there but am not able to see it. I assumed it would be a Torx or if not a Philips threaded screw. But I can't get screwdrivers for either of these types of bolt to marry into the screw head. So I can't undo it and this is all that's stopping me get the door off.

Anyone have any ideas on how to undo it without taking it to a mechanic? The other door screws are Torx size 15
x

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And there aren't any screws in the the white plastic piece under the armrest - just one inside the flap to the left to this piece

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,263 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeff. I've been using this but on these instructions and on videos it shows a screw actually on the white plastic section. Mine doesn't have this - its inside the flap cut into the panel material.

Or is this just the camera angles on the images on the instruction info making it look different to mine?

·
105,263 Posts
probably camera angles

there are like 6 door panel removal vids and pdfs in that link

follow the vids :D

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've looked at all the Vids and PDFs closely but there's nothing saying what the bolt head is for this bolt (in first photo of this post and labelled Bolt 8 in one of the pdfs) . Torx screwdrivers don't seem to fit it and its well hidden so not possible to actually see the screw head. So any suggestions on what screwdriver or other tool to use on this bolt would be very helpful

·
105,263 Posts
I've looked at all the Vids and PDFs closely but there's nothing saying what the bolt head is for this bolt (in first photo of this post and labelled Bolt 8 in one of the pdfs) . Torx screwdrivers don't seem to fit it and its well hidden so not possible to actually see the screw head. So any suggestions on what screwdriver or other tool to use on this bolt would be very helpful
item 65 in this pic

·
105,263 Posts
M4X14 does this help? :D

·
105,263 Posts
Torx M4x14 mm

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jeff. I don't want to damage the screw head by using the wrong one so sorry if I'm labouring the point but what is the correct screwdriver? I can't find any Torx T14 screwdrivers for sale only T10 or T15.
And does it matter if its a Security Torx or a Standard Torx screwdriver?

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,124 Posts

·
105,263 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,635 Posts
I removed the project car's door panels about a month ago - I believe this is a phillips screwhead. Is your door card a factory option? I've never seen one like that.

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I removed the project car's door panels about a month ago - I believe this is a phillips screwhead. Is your door card a factory option? I've never seen one like that.
It's a special edition - Designo. The seats are black and red leather and the door panels the same 2 colours. Could be UK or European only spec?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts