Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although this story is BBC UK it could apply anywhere in the world.

Scum are using signal jammers to prevent owners locking cars.
You walk away thinking that you have locked the car, except you haven't.

Unless you check the door handle for yourself, you can't be certain that the car is secure.

Full story:
Service station thieves 'using car key jammers' - BBC News

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,153 Posts
That would not be an issue for some (most?) of us who have the "touch the handle it locks" and "touch the handle it unlocks".

I do (maybe it's standard, I don't know) but she beeps goodbye ;) when I touch her. The button always goes up/down so I know it's locked. I've never used the key.

I even have to leave the key about 6' away when I'm washing her. My key is in my pocket and I happen to brush against the handle with my hip and she locks up.

Most annoying but I love her so I put up with her idiosyncracies :grin:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Before I step away from the car, I watch the lock sequence lights flash, listen for the "chunk-chunk" of the door locks operating, and visually see the lock buttons dropped into their sockets. Every time. If it doesn't happen the first time I push the button, I stand there and push the button until it does.

G

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
A timely reminder, Myk. May I also counsel against leaving the car running while it defrosts/warms up? Although I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, where any strangers lurking in the darkness would be very visible, I've seen plenty of cars left with their engines running and blowers on, just waiting for someone to jump in and drive away. Insurance companies don't like it!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts
Good warning for those who are unaware of the issue, thanks Myk.

As with @BlueSLK250, I find the auto-folding wing mirrors to be a great visual confirmation that the car has locked. :tu:

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,172 Posts
Well done, Myk - worth telling everyone.

We've always pressed the buttons and watched the car lock itself cos we're a suspicious couple of car owners. I've been known to unlock and re-lock the car when waiting for my commuter train in the morning just to make sure that I saw the car lock itself before I head to t'smoke.

Can't be too careful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts