Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 SLK320 my fuel gauge doesn't work and the Techron didn't help. I've seen a picture of the gas tank and know the sender is on the top. Before I start ripping out the trunk carpet, I'm wondering if there is some easy way to get at the top of the tank through the trunk without dropping the tank?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,064 Posts
You can't "drop the tank", it's simply not possible. There is an access hole you can reach once you've got the trunk lining and magnesium cover removed. Be sure your fuel is below 1/4 full and be sure to work in a well ventilated area!

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip on getting below a quarter tank, figure I'd better disconnect the battery as well. Wonder if the old one is repairable as in the float having a hole. I find used ones for around $75 but the gasket new sells for $30. There is also a NOEM for around $89, but I'd hate to have to adjust it or something, have to see if it comes with the gasket. That magnesium cover should make a nice addition to the fire ball. ;-)

·
5,064 Posts
I've never had to repair one but from what I've read here the rheostat is the usual culprit, and repairs are short-lived. I'd try a few used ones from the yard first (if you can find them).

·
5,064 Posts
Removing and installing fuel level gauge sensor.pdf
http://docdro.id/JrobKpt
Hope this help, looks like you need a special tool.
The special tool does make it easy, but it's also possible to do without: insert two small screwdrivers into the holes (top and bottom in your picture) and then a third large screwdriver between them to turn the fitting.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,814 Posts
Could make one out of a scrap of bar aluminum with 3 bolts (?) . Might be a little bit steadier than trying to be three handed :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.